News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

White Noise - An Electric Storm (1969)

One of the last Electronic album made without synthesizers (the Moog has been released in 1965 and had started making appearances on rock albums by this time; most notably "The Notorious Byrd Brothers" by The Byrds.)  The first side is excellent; filled with quirky pop songs.  The second side is experimental, and just not very good (allegedly it was rushed due to record company demands).  This was put together by the sound editors from the BBC Radiophonic Workshop and a lot of the first side sounds a lot like the first BBC Radiophonic Workshop compilation.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Issac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul (1969)

One foot in Memphis, one foot in Philadelphia (and, arguably, a hand on the Mothership, or at least Hyperbolicsyllablecsesquedalymistic sounds like a word George Clinton would have come up with) this is an incredible album.  It cooks as well as anything Black Moses had done at Stax; but its strings and orchestration foresees the world of Gamble and Huff.  "Walk on By" is the big hit off this one; but his version of "By the Time I get to Phoenix" is incredible as well.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

Whoa! Freaky!

More about google than music.

So as is my want, i've just gotten high and i'm listening to some youtube music clips to get my mind right for karaoke.

The We Five always works, so i click on the search bar.  Before I type a single letter the first recommendation is the We Five.

!!!!!!!!

Savonarola

Fairport Convention - Unhalfbricking (1969)

Three Dylan covers out of eight songs; who do you think you are, The Byrds?

;)

All the Dylan covers came from The Basement Tapes which Fairport Convention had access to, but most people did not (just a few bootlegs existed at the time.)  Dylan's experimentation into American roots music seemed to have inspired Fairport Convention to look back into British folk music.  There's still some American style folk music on this (notably Cajun Woman) but songs like "Genesis Hall" and "Who Knows Where the Time Goes?" demonstrate where the band was heading.  (That the band continued on at all is something of a surprise as one of the vocalists (Iain Mathews) left and the drummer Martin Lamble died in a car accident.  Not only did they soldier on, but they released yet another album in 1969.)

Savonarola

The white eagle of the north has flown; RIP Graeme Edge (drummer and... :unsure: lead poet :unsure: of the Moody Blues.)  :(

Savonarola

The gym that I go to has changed its music format from current hits to oldies (songs from the late 60s to late 90s.)  They had on "Lost in Emotion" by Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam today.  I don't I've heard that since the 80s and I remember at the time being really confused as to whom "Kay Sarah" was and how she fit into the song.  (I was actually familiar with the Doris Day version of "Que Sera, Sera" at the time; but it's Que Sera, Que Sera on the song and she pronounces "Sera" like "Sarah".)

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left (1969)

Better than most singer-songwriters, the songs are good, the arrangements are  amazing and Drake's voice is in turns powerful, weary and sincere.  The "Cheerful" songs on this don't really work (they'd be better on Bryter Layter); but there are so few of those that that's only a minor complaint.  Even as poor a stage performer as he was reputed to be it's still surprising that this didn't catch on until much later.  In addition to being good, he had collaborated with almost everyone in the late 60s British Folk revival (members of Fairport Convention and Pentangle play on this.)

Admiral Yi

Interesting that you're focusing on 69 Sav.  Watched a YT clip tother day on the 30 #1 hits of 69.  Very interesting mix of classic early rock and lounge dreck.

Savonarola

Tim Buckley - Happy Sad (1969)

This is a big change from 1967s Hello and Goodbye; that's a psychedelic album with singing that would have done Richard Harris proud.  This is a folk-jazz album (and he toned the singing way down.)  It's good throughout, maybe a bit too understated as nothing really stands out.

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 17, 2021, 11:12:00 PM
Interesting that you're focusing on 69 Sav.  Watched a YT clip tother day on the 30 #1 hits of 69.  Very interesting mix of classic early rock and lounge dreck.

I've been going through a chronological list of albums; 1969 had an unusual number of good to great albums.  Some of the old guard (Frank Sinatra, Elvis :elvis:, Miles Davis) were still making good albums; a number of early 60s artists were still around (Motown, The Beatles), The Laurel Canyon Scene and Haight-Asbury were still going strong, and a number of bands that would define the sound of the 70s (Chicago, King Crimson, Yes, David Bowie, The Delfonics, Led Zeppelin) were getting started. 

Savonarola

RIP Mick Rock best known as the photographer of Ziggy Stardust era David Bowie;  but he also did the cover photos of Queen II, Transformer and Raw Power:

garbon

Tori Amos - I Don't Like Mondays
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on November 20, 2021, 08:39:15 AM
Tori Amos - I Don't Like Mondays

:cool:

Coincidentally I've just finished listening to a radio program featuring her talking about and singing from her new album:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0011c5w
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

Yes - Yes (1969)

All the elements of Yes are already in place in their debut; wild mix of influences, lengthy solos, three part harmony and Jon Anderson's odd worldview.  The album suffers from some bad mixes; their recording team were mostly inexperienced and didn't know what to make of Yes.  There's a few standout tracks on this; "Survival" is the best.  They cover The Byrds' "I See You" and The Beatles "Every Little Thing"; both are excellent reinterpretation, "Every Little Thing" is well worth the listen.