News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

A few days ago I saw a headline on my newsfeed which was something like "Boogaloo, a Movement that's Hard to Define."  I thought that was obvious, since as a fusion of Mambo and R&B, Boogaloo had overlap into the base genres and influence on subsequent musical movements.  This makes it hard to distinguish between "Real" Boogaloo and Boogaloo inspired music.  Still I was glad to see that the Boogaloo was finally starting to get some recognition, so I clicked the link and... :unsure: er... :unsure:  I see "The Boogaloo Movement" no longer refers to a 60s musical genre.  I was reminded of the guy in Simon and Garfunkel's "Simple Desultory Philippic" who is so un-hip that when you say "Dylan" he thinks you're talking about Dylan Thomas.   :Embarrass:

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

Googling that phrase turns up quite a few Hawaiian shirts.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 24, 2020, 12:33:30 PM
Googling that phrase turns up quite a few Hawaiian shirts.

Roderick Spode's followers had to be The Black Shorts because all the good shirts were taken.  The Boogaloo Movement seems to have one-upped PG Wodehouse (although "The Hawaiian Shirts" would have been frightfully un- :bowler:.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Tonitrus

Russ Ballard - I Can't Hear You No More

Eddie Teach

garbon

Toni Braxton - Un-Break My Heart
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

Tonitrus

Survivor - Man Against the World

Eddie Teach

I told Alexa "chinga tu madre" and she treated it as a song request. As you'd expect, the song was in Spanish.

Syt

In the ongoing series of "Syt listens to strange covers".

Brides of Lucifer covers metal classics faithfully, except that the vocals are now a women's choir.

Here's their version of Dio's Holy Diver: https://youtu.be/sVKSTBoI_Ac (original: https://youtu.be/EhGEGIBGLu8 )
And of Behemoth's O Father O Satan O Sun: https://youtu.be/YWvcdAfdzp4 (original: https://youtu.be/05hAQWiX4F4 )

I think it works better with Behemoth. :hmm:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

Josephus

Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets....best Floyd cover band :D
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on October 03, 2020, 09:12:35 AM
Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets....best Floyd cover band :D

Worth checking out?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - 'Into The Great Wide Open'

Great album.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

Oingo Boingo - Running on a Treadmill
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM