News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

I thought you folks were immune to the cold.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis: Bold as Love (1967)

The Experience was under contract to release two albums in 1967, this and "Are You Experienced?"  Given their full touring schedule and Hendrix's notorious perfectionism, it's impressive they were able to do that.  Even more impressive is the growth the band experienced in such a short time.  The songs have a more cohesive sound and Jimi's songwriting improved quite a bit.

My parents saw Hendrix when they were dating; shortly before he died.  They said (don't be shocked) Jimi was drugged up out of his mind and kept breaking guitar strings throughout the show.  This isn't their sort of music; they were more folk and Motown.  My mother is still upset that my father took her to Hendrix; but she had to see The Fifth Dimension with her girlfriends. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

crazy canuck

Kate Bush - just because I needed to feel good again.

garbon

Drake - Hold On, We're Going Home
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Boy George - The Crying Game

Oh Ace Ventura and your hilarious homophobia.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Aerosmith- Dude Looks Like a Lady
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Bill Evans - Another Time: The Hilversum Concert (1968/2017)

Another lost and found concert recording from Resonance Records.  Evans was a legend, but the strength of his recording output often rises and falls depending on supporting cast.  On this trio recording that support is as good as he ever had (including the famous 60 VV sets) with the under-heralded Eddie Gomez on bass (who scene steals on a couple solos), and the master, a then quite young Jack DeJohnette on drums, who shows off the touch the got him hired by Miles Davis for his next gig.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

The Minsky Moment

Lou Donaldson "The Natural Soul" (1962)

Donaldson was a Charlie Parker influenced be-bopper (gigs with Blakey, Monk, Clifford Brown etc) who went soul in the 60s.  With track names like "Funky Momma," "Sow Belly Blues" and "Nice n Greasy" there isn't any ambiguity about what you're getting here.  Strong supporting cast - including Hammond organist Big John Patton and guitar legend Grant Green - puts this album above the usual in this genre.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Liz Phair - Never Said
Garbage - Silence Is Golden

mongers

Jeff Lynne's ELO -  'Alone in the Universe' - an acceptable album.  :bowler:

Though the 3D hologram front cover on the deluxe edition is rather nifty. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadBurgerMaker

It's after 5am, I'm out on the patio, and the music inside turned up way too loud.  Elton John is belting out Tiny Dancer at the moment.   :ccr

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011