News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Moby Grape - Moby Grape (1967)

Moby Grape released five singles on the same day from this album (Fall on You, Sitting by the Window, 8:05, Omaha and Hey Grandma.)  That was one of the better decisions made by the record company (or their managers or the band members) for Moby Grape which is why they never lived up to their potential.  Even so this is a great album; one of the best ever to come out of the San Francisco scene.  They could rock as hard as Jefferson Airplane or be as folksy as the Grateful Dead.  They even created the psychedelic soul sound that Motown would emulate.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

Donna Summer and Barbara Streisand - No More Tears (Enough Is Enough)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: Savonarola on January 29, 2018, 10:07:25 AM
Quote from: frunk on January 28, 2018, 11:23:53 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on January 28, 2018, 12:27:18 PM
David Bowie - David Bowie (1967)

I think there was something in the water (or they were adding something to their water) at the time.  See Giles, Giles and Fripp from 1968, which became most of King Crimson just a year later.  Fripp is known for hardly ever smiling, but you'd never realize it from this album cover.

Wow.  I've put that on the list for 1968.

One of the Giles brothers, I forget which, went on and made an interesting album with another KC refugee, McDonald; quite a good aalbum.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band - Safe as Milk (1967)

Quite a bit more accessible than almost anything else Captain Beefheart ever did; this is almost straight out blues-rock (with a very young Ry Cooder on guitar.)  It does have a garage band sound, you can tell it's Don Van Vliet signing and there is some weirdness and surrealistic lyrics on a couple songs; but it's pretty tame by the standards of Captain Beefheart.  By the standards of 1967 it's not even all that experimental.  If you're unfamiliar with Captain Beefheart this is a very good place to start.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Otis Redding – Live in Europe (1967)

The sound recording isn't the best, but otherwise this is great.  Otis, backed by Booker T and the MGs, is on fire and the audience is really into it.  The high point is listening to the entire audience sing along to "Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa (Sad Song)".  This would be Otis's only live album released in his lifetime; and recorded only nine months before he died. 

"Dock of the Bay" isn't on this; that was unfinished when he died.  The whistling at the end of the song was because he hadn't written the additional vocals yet.

The Minsky Moment

The older Steve Cropper gets, the more he looks like James Gandolfini.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Savonarola

The Young Rascals - Groovin'

This is the last album they're billed as "The Young Rascals" they'd become "The Rascals" on their next album.  They left the garage behind on this one and delivered something between psychedelia and blue eyed soul (there is a cover of "Place in the Sun" on this.  Fortunately the band had the wisdom not to try to sound like Stevie  :cool:.)  The title track is the standout on the album (they even had a sticker on the album which proclaimed "This is the album with the really big hit;") but it's good throughout.  (There were four charting singles on the album; five if you count the Spanish and Italian release of "Groovin'".)

The Minsky Moment

Paul Bley - Open, To Love (1973)

Solo piano.  This was released early in the history of the ECM label, received positive critical attention, and is considered as a key defining document of what became the "ECM sound" - there's a clear connection between this and Keith Jarret's work as a tent pole artist for ECM.  I'm ambivalent about it for the same reason I'm ambivalent about the ECM sound generally.  It's nicely written and performed, but the influences on some tracks are more from Schoenberg and the American minimalists than from Jelly Roll, Bud Powell or Monk.  By way of comparison MJQ was often accused of chamber music sensibilities, but their MD John Lewis was a bluesman at his core, and Connie Kay on drums learned his trade backing top end R&B acts at Atlantic.  Bley has those skills too, and a blues groove comes through on some tracks (Harlem, Ida Lupino).  But to my mind it's sort of stylistic tweener.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (1967)

T-R-I-P-P-Y

The British Tabloids of the era called the album "Music for LSD users" which made it certain Pink Floyd had a hit on their hands.  The rest of the band said that only Syd Barrett was using LSD at the time this album was made; but I get the impression that he was doing enough for the rest of the band, and a couple additional bands as well.  This is probably why the lyrics are mostly cheery and whimsical covering themes about childhood and space travel; while the music tends to be more eerie.  Some of the longer jams don't work out; but overall the album is good.  In the spirit of the times there are no singles on the British version of the album ("See Emily Play" is on the US release.)

Josephus

See Emily Play was not on any release.

They released two singles before the album came out, Arnold Layne and See Emily Play, neither was on the album.
They did in fact release one single from the album, Flaming, but it didn't chart.

And when you say some of the "longer jams didn't work out"...there was only one long jam, Interstellar Overdrive, which is recognized as a Floyd classic.

Sorry, but I'm a Floyd freak.  ;)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Savonarola

Quote from: Josephus on February 02, 2018, 04:47:02 PM
See Emily Play was not on any release.

They released two singles before the album came out, Arnold Layne and See Emily Play, neither was on the album.
They did in fact release one single from the album, Flaming, but it didn't chart.

And when you say some of the "longer jams didn't work out"...there was only one long jam, Interstellar Overdrive, which is recognized as a Floyd classic.

Sorry, but I'm a Floyd freak.  ;)

Wiki backs me up; it's track one on the US release.

Josephus

I stand corrected. Interesting they removed Astronomy Domine from the tracklist which has become the ONLY song still played live by David Gilmour (including on his last tour two years ago). I suppose current US versions contain the proper listing
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

PDH

Jethro Tull - Cold Wind to Valhalla
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM