News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Elvin Jones - The Ultimate Elvin Jones (1968)

This is the old John Coltrane rhythm section -- Jimmy Garrison on bass, and Jones on drums, but with no piano, and multi-instrumentalist Joe Farrell (tenor sax, soprano sax, flute).  The piano-less trio recalls Sonny Rollins' similar set up from a decade early in his highly regarded Village Vanguard recordings, where Elvin Jones also played drums.  Farrell doesn't have Sonny's tone or inexhaustible ideas, but he has some inspired playing on this.  Truth be told Farrell's name didn't ring a bell with me, some googling revealed he died young and did a lot of work with Chick Corea's fusion bands, not a body of work I'm that familiar with.  Nice work here, and with Garrison and Jones pushing things along the bar is high.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

MadBurgerMaker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlcywgEMuGI

:)

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDTZ7iX4vTQ

Oh and this one is pretty cool even if you aren't the biggest 21 Pilots fan (I'm not, but it pops up a lot in related videos on youtube so I've seen it a couple times):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OnO3UXFZdE

It shows how far they've come.  From wearing Halloween costumes in front of 10 people to stadiums full of thousands.  Despite my general dislike of the band, I dig that video a lot. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aeETEoNfOg

And so on.  I Am the Highway is next, then Fade Into You. 

One more:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0Pt7M0weUI   Catchy.

Eddie Teach

Cardi B- Bodak Yellow. She makes money moves.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadBurgerMaker

Youtube autoplay took me to Sixx AM.  The heroin diaries are some depressing shit.  I mean, yeah, he/they got away from it, but damn that's dark.

Liep

Tom Waits - Heart of a Saturday Night
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

Janet Jackson - The Velvet Rope

Now 20 years old :cry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tamas on October 06, 2017, 08:54:11 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 06, 2017, 03:42:05 AM
Alan Silvestri - Delta Force Theme

:worship:

The first Delta Force movie was formative in young Tamas' life.

I mean, rocket launchers on motorbikes. Come on.

Then watch Megaforce (1982) since they came up with the rocket launchers on motorbikes thing.  :P Not even Chuck Norris invented this one.  :D

Liep

Noel Gallagher - Holy Mountain

I think I like the new Liam more, but this ain't bad.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Cigarettes After Sex - Sunsetz

So apparently it's a guy who's singing. He sounds a lot like Hope Sandevel.

Eddie Teach

Been listening to Portishead tonight.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

I made the mistake of listening to a song by Insane Clown Posse.  :yuk:

Eddie Teach

Mama Said Knock You Out by some tv cop.

Josephus

David Gilmour: Live at Pompeii
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Minsky Moment

George Cables - Cables Vision (1979)

The first track has a very 70s vibe, with a farty Jaco Pastorious style electric bass, and a sound that veers dangerously into smooth jazz.  It picks up nicely from there, however, with help from a great front line - Freddie Hubbard on flugelhorn doing his sizzle, Bobby Hutcherson on vibes, and Cables himself on piano.  It's much like Hutcherson's excellent 70s era sessions on Blue Note and Columbia, with the same 3 guys recording with BH as leader.  The 70s were a very tough time for this kind of music but there are a lot of fine if mostly forgotten sessions from the period.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson