News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

MC5 - Back in the USA (1970)

Nowhere near as raw and exciting as "Kick out the Jams;" but it has its moments.  This is sort of their take on old time rock 'n roll (the opening track is "Tutti Frutti" and the closing is Chuck Berry's "Back in the USA"); loud, fast and revolutionary; but also all about adolescence.  Allmusic describes it as prefiguring both punk and power pop; I could sort of see the Ramones doing some of these songs (minus the revolution of course, they just wanted to sniff glue and be a lobotomy.)   
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

John Sebastian - John B. Sebastian (1970)

Sometimes sappy, sometimes silly, often in the spirit of the times; but much more eclectic than The Lovin' Spoonful  (he even has the Ikettes singing backup on one of the songs.)  This moves away from the Spoonful's poppy sound to more confessional singer-songwriter territory.  For the most part it's pretty low key affair, a lot of the songs sound like songs to be sung around a campfire.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Admiral Yi

Just heard on NPR that Linda Rondstadt is Mexican.

I googled it, and all I can get is that her paternal grandfather was half German half Mexican.  So her father was presumably 3/4 Mexican.

No mention of Linda's mom, so I'm guessing she was gringa.

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 08, 2022, 02:59:32 PMJust heard on NPR that Linda Rondstadt is Mexican.

I googled it, and all I can get is that her paternal grandfather was half German half Mexican.  So her father was presumably 3/4 Mexican.

She did a number of Spanish language songs (I think mostly Mexican folk songs) later in her career.

Barrister

Quote from: Savonarola on October 27, 2022, 03:49:38 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 08, 2022, 02:59:32 PMJust heard on NPR that Linda Rondstadt is Mexican.

She did a number of Spanish language songs (I think mostly Mexican folk songs) later in her career.

Well she did want to record a spanish-language version of the Plow King jingle. :nerd:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Savonarola

The nerd podcast I listen to; Fallo de Sistema, had two of Michael Jackson's recording engineers on.  They were in Madrid to deliver a Captain Eo seminar (no, I didn't know there was such a thing either.)  They had worked with him between Bad and HiStory; I learned that Jacko would warm up for two hours before singing on the records.  There was pitch correction back in those days, but (of course) they never had to use it for Michael.  In some songs you can here Jacko dancing, if you listen carefully; they didn't mic his feet, it was spontaneous and it's recorded through the voice mic.  I also learned that the great gloved one would sometimes compose songs by beatboxing them out;  and they'd build the songs over that ("They Don't Care About Us" was one example they gave.)

Savonarola

Paul McCartney - McCartney (1970)

Recorded at Paul's home studio; it's certainly less slick and well produced than anything The Beatles had done.  It's not bad, "Maybe I'm Amazed" is a good song, and there are some interesting musical ideas on a couple others (though they don't seem completely developed.)  There are also points where he really could have used John around to tell him his song was awful, notably "Teddy Boy."

mongers

The Black Crowes - 'She Talks To Angels' :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Talking Heads 'Once In A Lifetime'.

Only just found out David Byrne was born in Scotland and only took US citizenship fairly recently.

garbon

Quote from: mongers on November 18, 2022, 09:22:43 PMTalking Heads 'Once In A Lifetime'.

Only just found out David Byrne was born in Scotland and only took US citizenship fairly recently.

That must be why there is/was a vinyl picture disc of theirs in the national museum of scotland.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

FunkMonk

Thee new Taylor Swift Songs are far too catchy.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2022, 01:16:30 AM
Quote from: mongers on November 18, 2022, 09:22:43 PMTalking Heads 'Once In A Lifetime'.

That must be why there is/was a vinyl picture disc of theirs in the national museum of scotland.

Somewhat thin sauce as he left Scotland at 2 or 3 years old before Canada and hence the USA and finding fame in New York City.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvki8lFcH44

All Beatles songs from least to most played.  I'm at 151 and haven't recognized anything except the covers.