And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 25, 2022, 07:53:30 AM
Quote from: viper37 on April 24, 2022, 05:39:54 PM
Quote from: Syt on April 24, 2022, 09:53:18 AMRammstein have a new video (again) - Zick Zack is about excessive plastic surgery to keep age at bay. Contains some body horror (not too extreme; I assume they're somewhat inspired by the movie Brazil), and a brief flash of granny boobs near the end (therefore not embedding, just in case :P ):

https://youtu.be/hBTNyJ33LWI

It's not a terrible song, but I liked the title track of  their new album Zeit better.

https://youtu.be/EbHGS_bVkXY (not embedding this video, either, because it contains some VERY NSFW scenes - you'll know what I mean when you get there :P )
I'm struggling to find a good song from this band since they released Links.

I guess you are not struggling enough.  :P

From the Reise Reise album:

Reise, Reise
Mein Teil
Keine Lust
Amerika

Rosenrot (less good IMO)

Benzin
Mann gegen Mann
Rosenrot
Te Quiero Puta ! (so bad it's good)

Liebe ist für alle da (weakest IMO I remember being disappointed)

Haifisch
Pussy (made it thanks to the video  :P )

"Deutschland"

Deutschland (absolute classic great video as well)
Auslander (absolute classic great video as wellfor different reasons)
Radio

Ok, Deutschland is okayish.

But they've long abandoned their metal side to go 100% industrial.  Hence the no good song since Links ;)

There's nothing comparable to say, this one:

Live, they're still great to watch. :)

For an advanced lesson in Rammstein creation ;) :P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3s4HeNeH2Y
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

They have always been industrial, check Herzeleid or Sehnsucht. It's not like they were not compared to Laibach or Ministry in their early days.

Deutschland as video and song is better than Ich Will, a good but not among their very best, unlike Links 2-3-4.  :P

Syt

Brides of Lucifer - your answer to the question "What if metal classics had their vocals replaced by female choir?". The result is a bit of a mixed bag, with some quite good (Pantera's Walk, Dio's Holy Diver, Manowar's Warriors of the World), and some not so good (Chop Suey!). YMMV.

IMHO the best cover from their album is of Behemoth's O Father O Satan O Sun which was a bit of a surprise:

The original for comparison:

Full album playlist is here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nnn7i0io2iLviO8xIElSTdmCc5ESdQDO4
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

I'd say American influence, but I don't think it's as popular in America as it is in the Nordic countries
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

Metal being more popular in Portugal than in France is no surprise.

Syt

New video out today by Rammstein:

Title: Angst (Fear).

Not terribly subtle, it looks at "traditional" Germans' fear of the "other", personified by the Black Man (who, tellingly, is absent throughout the video and therefore more imagination than real - the only people of color seen are the refugee mother and child). It references the old kids' game "Wer hat Angst vorm Schwarzen Mann?", see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Bulldog_(game)#Black_Man

Also not very subtle for the Germans to eat what Wikipedia calls "Chocolate-coated marshmallow treats", generally now called "Schokokuss" (chocolate kiss) or "Schaumkuss" (foam kiss) since the old names "Negerkuss" (negro kiss) or "Mohrenkopf" (moor's head) have fallen out of fashion. (In Austria, they're called "Schwedenbombe", i.e. "Swedish Bomb," because a Swedish friend helped the Austrian producer Niemetz to develop them for the Austrian market at the time.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

I like metal cover of video game classic songs. But FalKKonE who focuses on "Intense Symphonic Metal Covers" may be a bit too much ... jeez, calm down! :lol:

And a far cry from Vomitron whose "No NES for the Wicked" album has some of the best metal covers out there.

—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

I like folk songs.  European or French Canadian folk songs appeal to me, for some reason.  This one is from New Zealand, 18th century, sang by shore whalers, originally.  It can be heard on Tik Tok, some dance fad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faOcws5a4fc

viper37

I also have a fondness for rock/metal covers of popular songs.  I usually have to have like the original song to like the cover, though, so no cover of Despacito will make me love the song :P

So, here's one from Bryan Adams, originally:

The singer is from Halocene (clearly the band's leader, her husband playing second role). Cole Rolland is the guitar player, he seems really good (He's also done a Bon Jovi cover).  Don't know the bassist and drummer, they seem ok.

Now, of interest to the geeks out there (do we have any here? ;) :P )
Less "traditional" than the other one, but still pretty good. :)

viper37

Ah, some pop cover a friend of mine likes:

Not my fave, but I guess it's ok. :)

Syt

A lovely new ballad from Lorna Shore. :wub:

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

And Rammstein have released another video (guys keeping busy in their old age :P ):

Dicke Titten - aka Fat Tits. They lyrics reflect the POV of a middle aged lonely man, looking for a woman. He stresses he doesn't demand much: she doesn't have to be beautiful, she doesn't have to be rich, or smart, and she even doesn't have to kiss him ... but she must have big tits.

Warning: around the 4:15 mark, during the end credits, you briefly see blurry black and white boobs. :P (which is a lot more restraint than I expected from the video's title - no reverse birthing in bloody detail this time ;) ). It does mirror the ending of their Zick Zack video where one of the grannies briefly flashes her boobs at the end. :lol:

Also, the video, according to the end credits was filmed in Ellmau, in Austrian Tyrol.
—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

You can always count on Rammstein to deliver on deep and insightful subjects.  :P

Anyhow, can't remember if I already posted this here.  The drummer is amazing:

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011