News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Still listening to Namewee / Huang Mingzhi. I thought I discussed the track that drew my attention to him to begin with on languish, but apparently I didn't. So I'm going to go into a bit more details now and cover one of his political songs.

Glass Heart

Like I mentioned briefly in my previous post, the song is a densely packed critique of the PRC and its defenders - both visually and lyrically. I'll discuss a number of the elements and metaphors - though I'm sure I'll miss some.

The song is addressed to "little pink" which is a term denoting Chinese nationalists (esp. on the internet) and their fragile glass hearts (that is, the ease with which they are upset or offended - essentially a way to say snowflake). The opening shot features (Xinjiang) cotton prominently, a reference to the use of slave labour and the practice of economically lucretive genocide, while the hobbit like environment indicates the official Chinese depiction of idyllic harmony.

The green leeks that the panda is carrying (and later chopping up) represent the common Chinese people ("harvesting leeks" is an internet expression meaning to take advantage of regular, poor Chinese people). NMSL is a short form for "your mother is dead", a favourite insult of Chinese keyboard warriors.

Namewee is collaborating with Kimberley Chen - a Taiwanese based singer - so when she sings "You claim that I belong to you... and urge me to declare our inseperable relationship and take care of your heart of glass" the political implications are pretty clear (referring not just to Taiwan but also the PRC claims in the South China Sea). The plush teddy bears don't look explicitly like Winnie the Pooh, but that's why they're there. There are a few other references that specifically call out things that Xi has said that have been mocked as being foolish or ignorant (the bits about walking 10 miles using a single shoulder and the one thousand is certainly beyond expectation - basically Xi was boasting about dumb ass stuff in his past).

The reference to hami melons is another slave labour cash crop, while Apple and Pineapple refers to media repression in Hong Kong. The rainbow motifs contrast Taiwan's tolerance vs that of the mainland.

There's a whole bunch more to it - especially if you speak Chinese and are attuned to Chinese internet/ pop culture.

Musically - the song is another duet, a charming little pop song with R&B style elements, no rap, and a catchy chorus.

Kimberley Chen and Namawee are completely banned from mainland China as a result of this song.

Currently at: 43 million views on youtube.

Josephus

Quote from: Savonarola on March 21, 2022, 02:52:19 PMSyd Barrett - The Madcap Laughs (1970)

Recorded over a two year period (interrupted by some stints for psychiatric treatment) and with five different producers this one is all over the map.  Some of the songs feel underdeveloped (mostly those produced by Roger Waters and David Gilmour) especially Dark Globe, which seems to have the making of a great song - if it wasn't done in one take.  Even the more developed ones tend to sound burnt-out.  I had called Alexander "Skip" Spence "San Francisco's answer to Syd Barrett;" and, at least in the sense they both sound burnt out, this album bears a resemblance to Spence's "Oar."

There are a few tracks that I really liked, "Golden Hair" (a James Joyce poem set to music), "Octopus" (the albums sole single) and "Terrapin" are worth a listen; but overall I don't think the album works.

There are some gems on that....the three you mention. There's also some good ones on his second album Barrett.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

PDH

Rush "One Little Victory"

One of those later Rush songs that unless you followed them you likely never heard.  A shame, it is a rocking track.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on March 31, 2022, 10:30:47 PMRush "One Little Victory"

One of those later Rush songs that unless you followed them you likely never heard.  A shame, it is a rocking track.

:cool:

Yep, I need to listen to the later albums.

I wonder if they ever released a 'decent' mix of 'Vapour Trails' ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

Quote from: mongers on April 01, 2022, 05:19:51 AM

Yes. They did remix it.

If you want to listen to one of their latest albums, though, their very last one, Clockwork Angels is fantastic.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on April 01, 2022, 05:54:23 AM
Quote from: mongers on April 01, 2022, 05:19:51 AM

Yes. They did remix it.

If you want to listen to one of their latest albums, though, their very last one, Clockwork Angels is fantastic.

Thanks Jos I'll hunt down a copy of the remix.

I've Clockwork Angels, but haven't ever given it a proper listening too.  :blush:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

Can't get tired of this one:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

This makes me want to replay Skyrim...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMEeWhV68sM

The Kings

The Beat Goes On/Switch Into Glide

Yet another catchy one hit wonder.

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2022, 12:06:44 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMEeWhV68sM

The Kings

The Beat Goes On/Switch Into Glide

Yet another catchy one hit wonder.

Kind of a two-hit one song wonder. ;)  It was like two songs, played as one.
Civis Romanus Sum

Admiral Yi

Like Brain Damage/Eclipse I assume?

Admiral Yi

But shouldn't that be one hit two song wonder? :nerd:

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

Josephus

The Cowboy Junkies. Temple Sessions. An early, aborted recording of what would become their third album, Caution Horses.
Civis Romanus Sum