News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Yeah, I tried that, but it just gives me the Spotify summary, not a personalized one. Even when logged in. It has a link to my personalized warp up, but that just dumps me back to my top songs.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

So strange. Either slow rollout or not making available in all countries?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Ok, found it on my phone. It doesn't show on website OR desktop app :rolleyes:

My genres are
- Metal
- Video game music (I do listen to  lot of ambient soundtracks like Elder Scrolls in home office)
- Classical performance
- Synthwave
- EBM

My top 5 artists has Miklós Rózsa on 3. Big fan of his soundtracks for historic movies (El Cid, Ivanhoe, Ben Hur, ...) :wub: https://youtu.be/czltBDI4LTg?list=RDuEMfpVSLC1I

Though apparently my top songs are two synthwave tracks and three metal songs. :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

About Rózsa - one of the reasons I got back into him were the Star Wars - The Old Republic soundtracks, esp. two pieces that remind me a lot of those old soundtracks of his.

Like this melancholy string heavy piece on Coruscant from SWTOR, starting at 4:15:
https://youtu.be/cAWDeWTlMjc?t=255

Also, "The Rebuilt Jedi Enclave" from KotOR 2:
https://youtu.be/__gLIyeQYDU
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Some albums that turned 30 this year:

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Darth Wagtaros

The Puddles Pity Party's version of Fairytale of New York.

PDH!

Syt

I had forgotten about this excellent Christmas parody of System of a Down's BYOB:

Psychostick - N.O.E.L.

:lol:

Edit: They also have a version of Oh Tannenbaum in Rammstein style. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMfjzzuSg9o&ab_channel=Psychostick
—Stephen Jay Gould

Savonarola

Randy Newman - Randy Newman (1968)

Debut album of Randy Newman.  While he was an established songwriter (a number of the tracks on the album had been previously sung by other artists); he's still trying to find his way as a performer here.  The songs are unmistakably Newman, quirky and semi-sarcastic, but they're all over-orchestrated.  It sounds like his biggest influence was movie music from the previous generation (in fact it often sounds like he's trying to Mickey Mouse his songs).  He would go on to find great success writing film scores, so that's not such a surprise.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

I recently found 100 gecs and their 23 minute album 1000 gecs. Apparently it was NYT's 2019 album of the year?

Anyways, I have never heard anything like it, but ... I think I like it? At the least it's captivating.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_ncLbiS0BaG1siJDXJJw3VSXe486k9uzAM

YMMV
—Stephen Jay Gould

Savonarola

Serge Gainsburg - Initials B.B. (1968)

A totally swingin' boogie woogie romp from late 60s Paris; you can almost smell the Gitanes blazing away.  :frog:

Some of this is a little weird, like how he'll use sound effects or zany background singing (the worst offender is undoubtedly "Comic Strip," but even his duet with Brigitte Bardot, "Bonnie and Clyde" has this weird "Oop" sound about every four seconds.)  Other parts are like a more fully orchestrated Fats Domino or Little Richard sung by a totally hip lounge singer; those are much better.  It's not bad, but probably something I wouldn't listen to again.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Silver Apples - Silver Apples (1968)

One of the very first "Electronica" albums; originally the two men who founded this band, Simeon and Danny Taylor, had been part of a larger group (The Overland Stage Electric Band) that fell apart as Simeon became more obsessed with incorporating audio oscillators into their music.  Simeon built his own oscillator organ (using telegraph keys as switches) and they recorded this with Taylor on drums.

For something so avant-garde (there wouldn't even be a Kraftwerk for two years), this is surprisingly melodious and surprisingly accessible.  Unfortunately neither one is a gifted singer; but even if they had been I don't think this would have caught on at the time.  They would be rediscovered in the 90s (though the two had lost contact and it would take Simeon a couple albums as the new Silver Apples to even find Danny Taylor.

Savonarola

I've been reading an biography of Joni Mitchell, and learned that the piano on Carole King's "I Feel the Earth Move" is the same one used throughout the album "Blue."  "Tapestry" and "Blue" were recorded at the same time in the same complex.  They both liked the sound of the Steinway in Joni's studio, so when Mitchell was on break King got her whole team in there and recorded the song.

Savonarola

Jane Birkin/Serge Gainsbourg - Jane Birkin/Serge Gainsbourg (1969)

Not as totally swingin' as "Initials B.B." (although Gainsbour's version of "Les sucettes" has a surprisingly funky guitar solo), this also avoids the zany sound affects as on the previous work.  The problem is that Birkin and Gainsbourg alternate tracks, while not as jarring as "Double Fantasy", the result is still a wildly uneven album.

The Brain

Is the KLF catalogue back? Official (?) videos on YouTube? WHAT IS HAPPENING
Women want me. Men want to be with me.