Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Bob Catley - 'The Tower' album.  :hmm:  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

The Minsky Moment

Horace Silver -- At Newport 58

More Louis Smith: his playing on this date is incredible.
Horace Silver has a deep discography but for some reason it is light on live performances.  Not sure why - I saw him play well past his prime and while he paced himself, he could still turn it on.  This particular recording was lost for years and then discovered in the Library of Congress archives. Definitely worthy of attention from Horace fans.  And if you're not a Horace fan, you really should be.

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Listened to the latest Kesha. Reminds me of a young Avril Lavigne, I can tell it's incredibly fresh and relevant.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

garbon

Angst wouldn't be the main emotion I'd highlight on Kesha's album. More hope and confidence.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on September 05, 2017, 04:08:42 AM
Angst wouldn't be the main emotion I'd highlight on Kesha's album. More hope and confidence.

I was talking about the music, not the lyrics.

garbon

The Minsky Moment

Shirley Scott - Plays Horace Silver

More on the Silver theme  . . . Scott was the "Queen of the Hammond Organ" - touring the chitlin' circuit with R&B-infused soul jazz and churning out about 3 albums a year for Blue Note Records in the early/mid 60s.  This trio recording is a cut above the usual - seems to have been a personal interest for Scott - her playing on Sister Sadie is inspired.  For some reason this never got released on CD (and thus none of the streaming services only).  Used LPs only.

Henry Grimes plays bass here, showing off his mainstream technique on the walking bass esp. in the upper register.  Grimes (like Richard Davis) was a popular session bassist in the 60s, playing with everybody from old-timey swing guys like Benny Goodman to cool jazz guru Lennie Tristano to modish modern players like Sonny Rollins and everything in between.  By the mid-60s he was mostly doing avant garde free jazz stuff with the likes Cecil Taylor (atonal percussive piano) and Albert Ayler and Archie Shepp - think torrents of shrieking and honking on the saxophone.

Then in 1970, Grimes suddenly disappeared.  For a long while he was presumed dead.  Then in 2002, he was found by a social worker - he was living in an SRO without any instruments and was spending most of his time going to the local public library reading poetry.  Another musician donated a bass, and for the last decade he was been musically active again, performing regularly and recording a bunch of albums.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon