News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

I'm keeping the engine running in Ed's driveway, as he convinces his Mom he won't be home too late, and blasting Whitesnake's Whitesnake--because nothing gets you faster to peak mullet on a Friday night like Crying In the Rain.

Liep

Social Distortion - Ball and Chain
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

Faith No More - Midlife Crisis
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

AnchorClanker

The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Rilo Kiley - Pictures of Success
Prince - D.M.S.R.
Jenny Young - Fuck Was I
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

Listening to spotify playlist 'Independent Ladies - Ladies, it's time to turn your sass level up to 100!' Almost like they created a playlist just for me. :o :D

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on November 22, 2016, 09:31:03 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 22, 2016, 08:39:11 AM
Now hair metal for Operation Mindcrime is really unfair and at best misleading.  :mad:

How about "The one album from the hair metal era" then?  At the time they were lumped in with the hair metal crowd even though they did derive many of their musical ideas from prog-rock rather than glam.

In any event the point is that Queensrÿche deserves to be remembered for Operation Mindcrime, not Silent Lucidity.

Follow-up:

Geoff Tate's thoughts on it:

Quote"What happened was that the marketing mentality came into the business. They started breaking everything down and putting music in boxes. At that point, writers began placing us in the same box as Mötley Crüe. It wasn't about the music — it was a selling technique.

"To be compared to Mötley Crüe... I took it as kind of an insult, frankly."

http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/artsfilmtv/how-grunge-and-the-marketing-men-killed-queensryche-432564.html

garbon

Nicki Minaj - Black Barbies

Eddie Teach

Earth, Wind and Fire- Boogie Wonderland
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Currently listening to The White Stripes
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Savonarola

The Beatles - Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

When I was in high school my dad got the cassette version of this.  I guess it wasn't as good as he remembered, because he shelved it pretty quickly.  I "Borrowed" it quite soon after that and listened to it extensively.  (This was in the midst of the hair metal era; when Mötley Crüe was the prestige band, and my friends were listening to bands like Poison and Warrant.)  The only Beatles I had heard before that were their "I Wanna Hold Your Hand," "She Loves You, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah," "Yesterday" and "Yellow Submarine."  This was so different, and so much better that I spent what little money I had from working at McDonald's getting all their later records.

I can't be as excited about music as I could when I was 16 anymore; but I still love this album and think it's one of the best ever made. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock