News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

I'm no huge Duran Duran fan, but they did have some interesting 90s output--just not the poppy 80s shit.

Like this one from their 1993 album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TreNe5D8OXE

and this one too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICnlyNUt_0o

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

PDH

The Jam - Town Called Malice
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Savonarola

Ash - Free All Angels (2001)

I saw Ash on the Area 2 tour.  They never made it big in the United States (I think they were quite successful in the UK).  It's too bad, since they sound like what I imagine the Smashing Pumpkins would have sounded like if the Pumpkins weren't led by a crazy person.  This is a good album, it's big guitar alt-rock was probably about five years behind the times when it was released; but today it sounds pretty cool.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

I recently learned that "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" was written and first performed (as a demo) by Robert Hazard.

:o

Even though there are only a couple lyric changes (and an additional verse), his version comes across quite differently.  The definition of "Fun" for instance is a lot more specific.  With the lo-fi guitars it sounds a lot like something Liz Phair would have done.

Watching the the video for Cyndi Lauper's version I pick up a lot more references than I did in the 80s.  The opening piano comes from Cyndi's version of the Helen Kane song "He's So Unusual."  The clip is from the Lon Chaney version of Hunchback of Notre Dame.  The couple dancing forehead to forehead comes from "Flying Down to Rio."  The overflowing room is taken from "Night at the Opera."  The snake dance (probably) comes from 8 1/2 (though that's too contemporary for me to say for sure.  ;))

Robert Hazard had a couple minor hits in the 80s, probably best known is Escalator of Life, which has an incredibly 80s video.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Liep

The Avalanches are finally back 16 years since they left us. The new single Frank Sinatra is both really annoying and super catchy and sort of good...

OOOH FRANK SINATRA
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Savonarola

Arnold Schoenberg - Transfigured Night

So Schoenberg was so infatuated with a woman he met (and would eventually marry) that he wrote a work based on a poem about a woman confessing to her lover that she's carrying another man's child.

:huh:

Maybe that was prophetic, his first wife did abandon him for a painter.  In any event this is probably Schoenberg's best know tonal work.  I don't care much for the sung poem at the end, but the instrumental movements are well done.

Admiral Yi

Because of our Duran Duran discussion I browsed some of their play list.

Can anyone think of a song that combines a catchier chorus and more worthless verses than The Reflex?

Savonarola

Astor Piazzolla ‎– Live Lugano 13 Ottobre 1983

Tangotastic!  This is the best collection of Piazzolla's work that I have encountered.  The album opens with his best known work Adios Nonino; but he has so many more great tangos.  (Though, alas, not the one that is in every Police Academy movie.)

Savonarola

Audioslave - Audioslave

This sounds like what would happen if Rage Against the Machine got the guy from Soundgarden to sing lead for them.

;)

This album has it's moments (notably Conchise) but they sound too much like an awkward mixture of their two groups than a new band.  Their next albums would improve.

Savonarola

Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill (1995)

Given that Alanis is not exactly the most gifted of singers and that the album is essentially the diary of a 19 year old girl set to 90's alt-rock guitars; it's surprising that this album is so good.  Perhaps it's because, due to her youth, she sounds sincere on all the songs.  When anger is called for she really, really angry; hell hath no fury angry; but even on the love songs she sounds credible. 

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.