News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Seems like clubs want "the next Pep" so they're taking people who were in his orbit: Arteta, Maresca (Chelsea), and Kompany
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 31, 2024, 08:47:48 AMBamboozled by that Bayern-Kompany thing. And I like Kompany a lot.

What's this?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on May 31, 2024, 11:21:22 AMWhat's this?
Vincent Kompany, won promotion to the Premier League with Burnley (by all accounts they were great in the Championship) and then this season they've won 24 points, are 19th and being relegated again.

He has just been poached by Bayern Munich :blink:

QuoteSeems like clubs want "the next Pep" so they're taking people who were in his orbit: Arteta, Maresca (Chelsea), and Kompany
Yeah although I've said before but I have a theory that with the massive clubs, like Bayern, it's maybe actually a little bit more like international management. Lots of man management of superstars who are not going to start changing their game for you unless the entire club is built around you (Pep) or you've got a record/aura already.

I could be wrong.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Oh yeah, that's something alright. Thanks :)

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 31, 2024, 12:08:43 PM
Quote from: Jacob on May 31, 2024, 11:21:22 AMWhat's this?
Vincent Kompany, won promotion to the Premier League with Burnley (by all accounts they were great in the Championship) and then this season they've won 24 points, are 19th and being relegated again.

He has just been poached by Bayern Munich :blink:

QuoteSeems like clubs want "the next Pep" so they're taking people who were in his orbit: Arteta, Maresca (Chelsea), and Kompany
Yeah although I've said before but I have a theory that with the massive clubs, like Bayern, it's maybe actually a little bit more like international management. Lots of man management of superstars who are not going to start changing their game for you unless the entire club is built around you (Pep) or you've got a record/aura already.

I could be wrong.

My understanding of Kompany is he's a very tactical manager and is wedded to a certain way of playing. I don't know how good his man management skills are but on the face of it I think he'll be sacked by Christmas  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tamas

I am sure third time is the charm for Chelsea bringing in a newbie coach from the lower division.

Kompany's appointment is baffling. I have to think nobody better accepted the job. Good luck for him though, quite the chance to make his mark as a coach.

Josquius

Painful times for Sunderland. Seems they were on the cusp of getting the man they wanted... But then Lens in France swooped in to tempt him.
Seems things plodded on so long with Sunderland because they're very strict on the whole head coach has little to do with signings system.
I believe Chelsea is going with this too?
██████
██████
██████

Threviel

That's dumb, the head coach should set the style of play he wants and acquire players to fit that style.

Lots of great teams fuck up because the board wants to hire someone special for some special reason.

Of course, for teams that routinely fire their head coaches it might be a good idea to have some continuity in the head recruiter role.

Josephus

Quote from: Threviel on June 01, 2024, 10:05:09 AMThat's dumb, the head coach should set the style of play he wants and acquire players to fit that style.

Lots of great teams fuck up because the board wants to hire someone special for some special reason.

Of course, for teams that routinely fire their head coaches it might be a good idea to have some continuity in the head recruiter role.

It's pretty much the American sports model, and it is gaining popularity in Euro soccer
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

Quote from: Threviel on June 01, 2024, 10:05:09 AMThat's dumb, the head coach should set the style of play he wants and acquire players to fit that style.

The theory makes sense. Every new manager coming in wanting their own style and their own players ends up costing a fortune and has poor results. It's much better to have a consistent style and recruitment towards this no matter who is in charge.
Sunderland have certainly suffered from the old way done poorly.
But getting people willing to work in the new way is tough when you aren't Chelsea. And if the recruitment and board aren't great....

Seems we particularly suffered here as we were chasing a very in demand manager and the other team has offered him a traditional management job
██████
██████
██████