News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Labour Slumps to 3rd in poll

Started by jimmy olsen, September 29, 2009, 03:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Reagan cut taxes and jacked military spending to the stratosphere.  I'm hard pressed to think of a single domestic spending initiative on his watch.  If you want to call that "big government" that's pretty dishonest.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Fate

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 30, 2009, 04:00:01 PM
Reagan cut taxes and jacked military spending to the stratosphere.  I'm hard pressed to think of a single domestic spending initiative on his watch.  If you want to call that "big government" that's pretty dishonest.

If you don't want to consider the military part of the government that's pretty dishonest.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Fate on September 30, 2009, 05:02:26 PM
If you don't want to consider the military part of the government that's pretty dishonest.
Both of our statements are true.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

I'm surprised Spicy fell for Elmer Fudd's box trap.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 30, 2009, 01:45:54 PM
Nixon cut the size of government? I know he created the EPA. What did he get rid of?
The Vietnam War.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: derspiess on September 30, 2009, 03:56:43 PM
Quote from: Fate on September 30, 2009, 03:47:46 PM
If he had a Republican Congress spending would have been even greater.   :thumbsup:

Rrrright.  :rolleyes:

Judging from the past few years of GOP Congress...  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Fate

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 30, 2009, 06:49:43 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 30, 2009, 03:56:43 PM
Quote from: Fate on September 30, 2009, 03:47:46 PM
If he had a Republican Congress spending would have been even greater.   :thumbsup:

Rrrright.  :rolleyes:

Congress would have approved an accelerated Death Star construction schedule.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Fate on September 30, 2009, 02:54:24 PM
Erm. How much of that is related to winding down the Vietnam War and pushing expensive programs off the official books?
Nixon didn't really start winding down Vietnam until 1973 which was, what, 12 months before he resigned.  So it's not from there.  I don't know what you mean by the last point.

QuoteReagan cut taxes and jacked military spending to the stratosphere.  I'm hard pressed to think of a single domestic spending initiative on his watch.  If you want to call that "big government" that's pretty dishonest.
Domestic spending increased but very lightly.  You're conflating two things in the other point.  Cutting taxes and not cutting spending contributes hugely to deficits - which increased hugely under Reagan.  And big military spending increases the size of the government and the number of civilian federal employees mildly increased under Reagan.  Saying defence spending doesn't count is like politicians saying they want to cut the size of discretionary, non-defence spending.  It's a nonsense because if you remove the mandatory programmes, he didn't change, and defence which he increased then there's fuck all left to cut.

Nixon on the other hand cut the national debt, put a hold or mildly shrank the size of government spending overall and decreased the number of civilian federal employees.  I think he's a far more convincing small government conservative because he made government smaller.
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 01, 2009, 01:42:46 AM
Nixon on the other hand cut the national debt, put a hold or mildly shrank the size of government spending overall and decreased the number of civilian federal employees.  I think he's a far more convincing small government conservative because he made government smaller.

He *wanted* to make it bigger, though.  Don't forget he was pushing pretty hard for government-funded national health insurance.

I guess we're sort of talking past each other, though.  I'm more interested in political philosophies, and you're focusing on results, which the president doesn't always fully influence.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 30, 2009, 06:49:43 PM

That was Bush-43's 'Compassionate Conservatism' in play :bleeding: plus a couple wars.

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on October 01, 2009, 10:23:30 AM
I'm more interested in political philosophies, and you're focusing on results, which the president doesn't always fully influence.
Well I think you have to judge them by the combination of their philosophy and their results.  I think if you just focus on results then you're right there are a lot of mitigating factors.  If you focus on philosophy alone then I think you end up saying well-intentioned people you agree with who are incompetent but philosophically okay - in short people like Bush II.
Let's bomb Russia!