Main Menu

Wikipedia: Not for kids

Started by Martinus, September 28, 2009, 09:33:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on September 29, 2009, 03:59:12 AM
Quote from: Jaron on September 28, 2009, 02:54:00 PM
Hmm..

ulmonts lawyerin' skills  > Martinus   ?  ?

What does it have to do with lawyering skills? I just find this retarded and if this is extended to any application that can access the internet, as BB claims, then it is retarded as well. I am not making a legal argument - I am pretty aware that Americans are perfectly capable of having totally cretinous laws - I am making an argument about common sense.

He meant that ulmont instantly realized that Google has much less responsibility for stuff you find on it, since those stuff are stored on non-google servers. Unlike wikipedia which uses its own servers.

grumbler

What does it have to do with lawyering skills? I just find this retarded and if this is extended to any application that can access the internet, as BB claims, then it is retarded as well. I am not making a legal argument - I am pretty aware that Americans are perfectly capable of having totally cretinous laws - I am making an argument about common sense.
I would say your common-sense skills are as ineffectual as your lawyering skills.  Wikipedia almost certainly put that warning in because their lawyers advised them to do so (to limit liability).  Common sense tells one to listen to their lawyer about the law (when it is a real lawyer, that is, not just someone on the internet pretending to be one).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

I think some of you greatly overestimate the amount of intelligence and knowledge someone needs to become a lawyer.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on September 29, 2009, 08:22:45 AM
I would say your common-sense skills are as ineffectual as your lawyering skills.  Wikipedia almost certainly put that warning in because their lawyers advised them to do so (to limit liability).  Common sense tells one to listen to their lawyer about the law (when it is a real lawyer, that is, not just someone on the internet pretending to be one).

Uhm, as a lawyer I can tell you that lawyers very often advise clients precautions that are quite against common sense. It all boils down to CYA - no lawyer wants to risk advising his client a sensible action, if there is a slightest risk it may be challenged by stupid authorities and courts - and have the client come back to the lawyer demanding damages. That is why you have "may contain nuts" warnings on packages of nuts.

dps

Quote from: grumbler on September 29, 2009, 08:22:45 AM

Nah, I'm sure that they just put that warning there to annoy Marty.

grumbler

Quote from: dps on September 29, 2009, 10:34:18 AM
Nah, I'm sure that they just put that warning there to annoy Marty.
Oh.  :Embarrass:  Shoulda realized that.  Never mind, then.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on September 29, 2009, 09:13:35 AM
Uhm, as a lawyer I can tell you that lawyers very often advise clients precautions that are quite against common sense. It all boils down to CYA - no lawyer wants to risk advising his client a sensible action, if there is a slightest risk it may be challenged by stupid authorities and courts - and have the client come back to the lawyer demanding damages. That is why you have "may contain nuts" warnings on packages of nuts.

I advise my clients to take sensible actions all the time.  That is why I have clients....

crazy canuck

And you wonder why people dont take you seriously.

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 29, 2009, 12:01:40 PM

I advise my clients to take sensible actions all the time.  That is why I have clients....

Where would you tell Hitler to strike in the 1942 summer offensive?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on September 29, 2009, 01:15:54 PM

Directly between his legs in order to take out his one remaining testicle.  Then I would advise he have someone shoot him, gas him and burn him all at the same time.

Good practical advice.

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 29, 2009, 01:18:25 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 29, 2009, 01:15:54 PM

Directly between his legs in order to take out his one remaining testicle.  Then I would advise he have someone shoot him, gas him and burn him all at the same time.

Good practical advice.

A lawyer taking his marching orders from the ZOG. How original.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

That is why you have "may contain nuts" warnings on packages of nuts.

I appreciate that the wrapping on my starbuck's straw advises me not to use it with hot beverages.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

What does it have to do with lawyering skills? I just find this retarded and if this is extended to any application that can access the internet, as BB claims, then it is retarded as well.

There was a story earlier this year about an iPhone app that had been developed to allow you to access public domain written works from the internet.  It was denied approval due to potentially inappropriate content, and was ultimately approved with a similar warning and rating to what Marty described.

Why?

Because one of the public domain works it could access was the Kama Sutra. :lol:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.