News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Eye protocol

Started by Phillip V, March 26, 2009, 12:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Warspite on March 27, 2009, 11:37:24 AM
I'm with Yi, fugliness is not a function of whether you have banged someone or not.

I'm not suggesting it is.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on March 27, 2009, 11:54:34 AM
I can find something beautiful in anyone. :)

I hope you don't use knives in your search.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on March 27, 2009, 11:57:32 AM
Quote from: Caliga on March 27, 2009, 11:54:34 AM
I can find something beautiful in anyone. :)

I hope you don't use knives in your search.  :D

No, but maybe I should.  Ohhhhhhhhh Raz....  :menace:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Richard Hakluyt

It's the single chaps that are knocking the girls' looks  :lol:

I think we staid married folk are more worried about non-surface features, like......does she make good pies?......will she get annoyed by the amount of time I spend playing computer games? and so on

Caliga

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 27, 2009, 12:00:32 PM

I think we staid married folk are more worried about non-surface features, like......does she make good pies?......will she get annoyed by the amount of time I spend playing computer games? and so on

It's always that way. :lol:

My brother has insanely high standards as well... and is unsurprisingly perpetually single.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

The challenge of striving for perfection vs. settling.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 27, 2009, 12:00:32 PM

It's all true :blush:

Though I found myself making a checklist of personality traits and interests and caring less about just phyiscal appearance the more women I went out with.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on March 27, 2009, 12:04:24 PM

Or rather finding what will really make you happy versus chasing what turns out really doesn't matter that much.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

BuddhaRhubarb

:p

Valmy

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on March 27, 2009, 12:07:33 PM
Dude she likes you.

First one is in a relationship...the Latina we know nothing about besides her hotness and the fact he has a self picture of her.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on March 27, 2009, 12:06:31 PM
Or rather finding what will really make you happy versus chasing what turns out really doesn't matter that much.

Whatever makes it work for you. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on March 27, 2009, 11:53:21 AM
Not exactly. It is a matter of defining what you are basing "fugly" and "attractive" on.

If your range is based on a solid diet of supermodels and famous actresses, the "fugliest" one of which is likely to be better-looking than anyone you actually know in real life, this skews the perception in a way not conducive to future contentment.
When you say that skews the perception that means there is unskewed, unbiased perception, which gets us back to my previous statement that if the best you can do is fugly you have to call her something other than fugly (because that is "conducive to future contentment").  We're talking about two seperate tests.  There's the settling that  :mellow: mentioned and then there's sensory pleasure.  When I talk about pretty/fugly I'm referring to the second.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 27, 2009, 12:33:16 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 27, 2009, 11:53:21 AM
Not exactly. It is a matter of defining what you are basing "fugly" and "attractive" on.

If your range is based on a solid diet of supermodels and famous actresses, the "fugliest" one of which is likely to be better-looking than anyone you actually know in real life, this skews the perception in a way not conducive to future contentment.
When you say that skews the perception that means there is unskewed, unbiased perception, which gets us back to my previous statement that if the best you can do is fugly you have to call her something other than fugly (because that is "conducive to future contentment").  We're talking about two seperate tests.  There's the settling that  :mellow: mentioned and then there's sensory pleasure.  When I talk about pretty/fugly I'm referring to the second.

Well, sure, there is no totally objective standard for fugly - there is at best a range. Basing that range on some unobtainable ideal based on a bevy of movie stars strikes me as being self-defeating - if one cannot get "sensory pleasure" from someone who isn't a movie star or a supermodel, quite frankly I feel sorry for them - that's not a realistic measure.

Also, the notion that "the best you can do is fugly you have to call her something other than fugly " implies that there is some sort of objective standard of "fugliness" that you know but that others are simply in denial about - I can assure you this is not the case: I'm not faking it when I state that lots of women I know are 'not fugly', I really believe it - looking at them gives me pleasure; I assume many others are the same ... if looking at such women gives you no pleasure, if you are forced to "settle" with women you find "fugly", then I repeat: that sucks.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on March 27, 2009, 12:04:24 PM

Don't worry, there's a Pottery Barn waiting for you.  ;)