9th Company: Roots of Terror (Soviets in Afghanistan)

Started by Syt, September 26, 2009, 01:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.strategyfirst.com/en/games/9thCompany/

Quote9th Company Roots of Terror is an action-oriented real-time strategy game based on actual events that took place during the Soviet military campaign in Afghanistan.

9th Company follows the story of a ragged band of young recruits undergoing brutal training in Uzbekistan's Fergana Valley and culminates with a bloody stand against the Mujahideen warriors on a nameless mountain top in Afghanistan. It's the Battle of Thermopylae all over again: one Russian fighter against 10 Afghanis!

9th Company recreates in detail the events that took place during the last large-scale Soviet military operation. Few know the history: the 9th Company of the 345th Guards Airborne Regiment came under heavy fire on "Hill 3234" on January 7th, 1988. They managed to stop several attacks by an estimated 400 Mujahideen and Pakistani mercenaries and held their position for two gory days. The company lost 6 men, and the remaining 28 of the total 39 were wounded. Two 9th Company soldiers were posthumously awarded the Golden Star medal and the title of Soviet Hero.

Oh my!  :lol:

* Warfare on two tactical levels: use the area operations map to choose your mission or explore 12 unique and highly detailed tactical maps of Afghanistan.
    * Stunning 3D graphics and a spectacular physics engine guarantee a one-of-a-kind experience in destroying any mechanized unit or building.
    * Merit reward and in-combat morale system for every character and advanced hit location system for mechanized units make tactical battles even more realistic.
    * A complex system of tactical behavior and firepower control for mechanized infantry, assault, reconnaissance and special operations units. More than 80 different unit types.
    * Nonlinear mission structure.
    * A complex system of tactical behavior and firepower control for mechanized infantry, assault, reconnaissance and special operations units. More than 80 different unit types.
    * System of experience gain the crew now become more and more experienced with every battle. A possibility of forming an elite military unit is available in requisition screen.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

I'd say it would be a big seller in Russia, but everybody pirates over there.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Warspite

Quote from: Habbaku on September 26, 2009, 05:24:52 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 26, 2009, 04:44:02 PM
I think I might have seen a movie about this.

I did.  It was terrible.

Did it have the Bollywood hero mujahadeen in one of the final scenes?
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA