Which Pedro Almodovar's movie is your favourite?

Started by Martinus, September 25, 2009, 08:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which Pedro Almodovar's movie is your favourite?

Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
5 (14.7%)
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!
3 (8.8%)
Kika
0 (0%)
Volver
1 (2.9%)
All About My Mother
3 (8.8%)
Talk to Her
3 (8.8%)
Bad Education
1 (2.9%)
Other
1 (2.9%)
Don't like any of his movies
2 (5.9%)
Pedro Who?
15 (44.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Josephus

Quote from: Neil on September 25, 2009, 12:47:11 PM
No idea who this person is.  I would suppose, based on the opening post, that he is a homosexual though.

Well....they probably don't show art films in Alberta. Not much demand. :lmfao:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

Quote from: Josephus on September 25, 2009, 01:07:33 PM
Quote from: Neil on September 25, 2009, 12:47:11 PM
No idea who this person is.  I would suppose, based on the opening post, that he is a homosexual though.

Well....they probably don't show art films in Alberta. Not much demand. :lmfao:
There are two art theatres in Edmonton, but I am unlikely to go to them, due to the contempt in which I hold art that doesn't revolve around dead white guys.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

To the people who don't know who he is: well, he is just probably the best known non-English-language director that is still alive and working at the moment.

He discovered Penelope Cruz, too.

Neil: yes, he is a homo.

Martinus

To be honest, I'm surprised so many people never heard of him. He is pretty big in Poland - I mean not everybody likes his movies, of course, but pretty much all the people I know have heard of him and have seen at least one or two of his movies.

Fame-and-popularity-wise I'd put him around the level of Woody Allen.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on September 25, 2009, 02:10:53 PM
To be honest, I'm surprised so many people never heard of him.

Foreign language films are basically unknown here with very very few exceptions like 'Life is Beautiful' and 'Downfall'.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on September 25, 2009, 02:13:18 PM
To be honest, I'm surprised so many people never heard of him.

Foreign language films are basically unknown here with very very few exceptions like 'Life is Beautiful' and 'Downfall'.

So the only foreign movies you guys see are about Holocaust/nazism? No wonder your views about Europe are so fucked up. :D

Sheilbh

To be honest, I'm surprised so many people never heard of him. He is pretty big in Poland - I mean not everybody likes his movies, of course, but pretty much all the people I know have heard of him and have seen at least one or two of his movies.
I'm surprised too.  Even here he's popular enough to be played in multiplexes and even small commercial cinemas, rather than just arty ones.

I think Godard's still more famous :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Yeah. His last movie, for example (which just hit the cinemas here) is shown in pretty much all the multiplex chains we have, and a lot of non-chain commercial cinemas.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on September 25, 2009, 02:14:20 PM
So the only foreign movies you guys see are about Holocaust/nazism? No wonder your views about Europe are so fucked up. :D

Most stereotypes about Europeans date from the WWII era.  Hence why we think you don't bathe and Germany is going to conquer France at any moment.

Those are just the first two I could think of.  I don't attend very many movies.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on September 25, 2009, 02:21:31 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 25, 2009, 02:14:20 PM

Most stereotypes about Europeans date from the WWII era.  Hence why we think you don't bathe and Germany is going to conquer France at any moment.

Those are just the first two I could think of.  I don't attend very many movies.

At least I take my opinions about America from news programs and websites, such as the Daily Show, the Colbert Report and The Onion.

DisturbedPervert

Pan's Labyrinth did well, so do movies by Hayao Miyazaki.

Admiral Yi

Valmy

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on September 25, 2009, 02:28:16 PM

Yeah and I also forgot that The Lives of Others and Amelie were at least acknowledged as existing.

DisturbedPervert

Asian martial arts and horror films seem to do good too.  Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Old Boy, Ring, Battle Royale, etc.

Martinus

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on September 25, 2009, 02:28:16 PM

Wasn't Pan's Labyrinth in English?