News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Favorite National Epic?

Started by Queequeg, March 25, 2009, 02:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Favorite national epic, in prose or poetic form.

The Epic of Gilgamesh (Sumer)
2 (4.5%)
The Illiad (Ancient Greece)
9 (20.5%)
The Aeneid (Rome)
3 (6.8%)
Ramayana (India)
0 (0%)
Beowulf (Anglo-Saxons)
3 (6.8%)
Shahnameh (Persian)
0 (0%)
The Song of My Lord (Spain)
1 (2.3%)
The Divine Comedy (Italy)
1 (2.3%)
Táin Bó Cúailnge (Ireland)
3 (6.8%)
The Eddas (Norse)
5 (11.4%)
The Nibelungenlied (Germany)
2 (4.5%)
Romance of the Three Kingdoms (China)
4 (9.1%)
Paradise Lost (England)
2 (4.5%)
Moby-Dick (USA)
3 (6.8%)
War and Peace (Russia)
0 (0%)
Kaevala (Finns, other Uralic freaks)
2 (4.5%)
Other
4 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 43

jimmy olsen

Voted for the Aeneid, though I too prefer the Odyssey.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Quote from: Queequeg on March 25, 2009, 02:19:48 PM
Quote from: The Brain on March 25, 2009, 02:18:05 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on March 25, 2009, 02:16:13 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 25, 2009, 02:13:44 PM
You forgot Poland. :p
I did it on purpose.

Timmy, I specifically said "National Epic" as several of these are in prose anyway. 

Moby-Dick seemed the best American answer to Milton and Dante, but that could be argued about.  Didn't want to leave out such an important country when we have Ireland there.

Why would America necessarily have a national epic?
The Uzbeks, Filipinos and Finns have one.  No way they get one and we don't.

At least you know in which tier you belong.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: grumbler on March 25, 2009, 02:23:58 PM
The US epic is The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

This isn't even a subject of debate.
Great point, this man is absolutely right.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Shouldn't England's be King Arthur?

Caliga

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 25, 2009, 02:23:22 PMThe Odyssey's not noble enough, perhaps?  And preferring it's really recent.  Until the turn of the 20th century the emphasis was overwhelmingly on the Iliad.

I just think it's more interesting and amusing.  I have not read the Iliad in a while but IIRC large portions of it bored me.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 25, 2009, 02:24:40 PM

Great point, this man is absolutely right.

Except that it is unacceptably racist.

Queequeg

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 25, 2009, 02:21:07 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 25, 2009, 02:13:33 PM
Moby Dick is not an epic poem.

You should have posted "John Brown's Body"

http://www.amazon.com/John-Browns-Stephen-Vincent-Benet/dp/092958726X/ref=cm_lmf_tit_15
Walt Whitman's America's epic poet.

I don't think the Shahnameh's considered an epic by anyone.  It's the Persian national book and series of tales but there's another Medieval Persian poem that is considered the national epic but I can't remember its name :(
My only objection to including the Shahnameh is that it is as much a regional epic as a national one, as Turks, Arabs and even Indians tend to know it pretty well.  And I've only heard of the Shahnameh referenced as the Persian national epic,  heck Ferdowsi is sometimes credited with helping save the Iranian language due to the influence of his poetry. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on March 25, 2009, 02:25:31 PM
Except that it is unacceptably racist.
Only to those who have never read it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Queequeg

I'd say it is probably best if we split up the US; New England would get Moby-Dick, the South would get Huck Finn, etc......
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Brain

Quote from: Queequeg on March 25, 2009, 02:28:50 PM

I'd say it is probably best if we split up the US; New England would get Moby-Dick, the South would get Huck Finn, etc......

But where would the madness end?

Savonarola

Quote from: Queequeg on March 25, 2009, 02:20:32 PM
Sav, how did you vote?  You've had avatars and profile quotes from several of these.

The Illiad, one day I'll have to learn Ancient Greek to read it in the original.   :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2009, 02:25:06 PM
Shouldn't England's be King Arthur?
Well there's not really a King Arthur that tells the story of Arthur as we know it.  Malory's books are largely a reinterpretation of existing French texts  But I think maybe the last book could count as a sort of national epic.  Things fall apart.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Queequeg on March 25, 2009, 02:26:58 PM
My only objection to including the Shahnameh is that it is as much a regional epic as a national one, as Turks, Arabs and even Indians tend to know it pretty well.  And I've only heard of the Shahnameh referenced as the Persian national epic,  heck Ferdowsi is sometimes credited with helping save the Iranian language due to the influence of his poetry.
Yep, you're right.  The only person who doesn't think it's the Persian epic is the guy who wrote the introduction to the copy I've got :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 25, 2009, 02:32:53 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on March 25, 2009, 02:26:58 PM
Yep, you're right.  The only person who doesn't think it's the Persian epic is the guy who wrote the introduction to the copy I've got :bleeding:
What's the translation you are reading?  I'd love to read it, though I think I might end up studying Persian so hopefully I will one day read (if not all of, than maybe the first 20,000 pages) of it.