Big Plans you almost went through with...

Started by MadImmortalMan, September 17, 2009, 06:06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

So about a year and a half or two years ago I came remarkably close to moving to Europe. I don't really regret not doing it, and I still hold it out there as an option for the future. But the window sort of closed on that idea because some great opportunities came along here at home. Looking back it's a bit of a shock "Wow, I really almost did that...". A little over a decade ago, I did a similar thing. Just after our wedding, my wife and I just quit our jobs on a whim and moved halfway across the US---just because we had found a place we would rather live. With no job waiting for us and no money to float on until we could find one. Now that I'm a little older I would have thought that crazy "what the hell" attitude would be gone as a relic of youth. But nope. I'm still liable to make insane life-changing decisions like that if I get a burr up my ass. It's kinda scary.

So what wacky plans did you never actually go through with? I seem to remember Tamas wanting to come to the US. Marty was London-bound but ended up in Brussels instead. Jaron quit JIB to move to San Diego or somesuch way, way back then, but don't remember exactly.

Successful Big Plans I can remember: Beeb moving to the Yukon and Siegy going from the IDF to become a Mossad mole in the US Army. Oh, and did Dan Cook really become a tornado chaser?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

I've made two big moves in my adult life.

The first you identified, moving to Yukon where I didn't know anybody.  But that wasn't that crazy a move - I applied for an open job, got it, and then (and only then) did we decide to move.

The earlier one was a bit crazier though.  I did my law school in Manitoba.  In order to become a lawyer in Canada you have to go through a one year clerkship/apprenticeship program called articling.  And at least back then in Winnipeg, all the big firms (and not so big) got together and did all their interviews in the same week, and they do a big "match" process where the firms rank their preferred students, and students rank their preferred firms, and then a computer "matches" people together.  It's a fairly neat system, but if you don't get "matched" your stuck articling at a much less desirable firm.

So anyways I grew up in Winnipeg, went to school there, and I had a few connections and ties.  I think I would have definitely gotten a job somewhere.

But I got the itch to move to Calgary.  Calgary also had the same system of "matching".  And it had it's interviews the same week as Winnipeg.  So I couldn't do both.  And I didn't know anybody in Calgary, and didn't have any connections or "ins" with any lawfirms.

But still, 1 week beforehand, I dropped out of the Winnipeg match and drove out to Calgary.  If I didn't get matched there I was screwed.  But I did, and a year later I was in Calgary.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 17, 2009, 06:06:39 PMmy wife and I just quit our jobs on a whim and moved halfway across the US---just because we had found a place we would rather live.
:)
Successful Big Plans I can remember: Beeb moving to the Yukon and Siegy going from the IDF to become a Mossad mole in the US Army. Oh, and did Dan Cook really become a tornado chaser?
<_<
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

MadImmortalMan

Oh yeah: Cal sold his house to a sex offender and moved to North Dixie. Happy?  :P

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 17, 2009, 06:31:38 PM
Oh yeah: Cal sold his house to a sex offender and moved to North Dixie. Happy?  :P
No, sold my home to a drunk. :)  He didn't become a sex offender till later. :yes:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 17, 2009, 06:06:39 PM
So what wacky plans did you never actually go through with?

Killing a certain girlfriend.

Monoriu

My big moves are well known here.  Going back to Hong Kong was the best decision I made in my life. 

But a recent thought struck me.  I was wondering why some students/kids these days can care so little about their future.  I concluded that a lot more kids now have rich or at least middle class parents. 

Then it hit me.  My parents do well.  So well, that in theory they can support me for the rest of my life and I don't need to work for a day. And I am the only child.  Instead of working hard for grades, and suffering day after day at work, I could achieve my goal in life by doing nothing. 

Not nothing really.  The price is to kiss their asses.  Starting from a very young age, I didn't get along with them.  I don't realize it until now, but I must have made the decision subconsciously not to go down that path a long time ago. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Monoriu on September 17, 2009, 07:21:26 PM
My big moves are well known here.  Going back to Hong Kong was the best decision I made in my life. 

:lol:

HisMajestyBOB

I went to Korea to teach English, and I'm thinking of staying here another year.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Scipio

I may still move to Aiken, South Carolina, if this hideous bitch of an incompetent lying woman lawyer gets elected chancery judge.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Scipio on September 17, 2009, 08:20:45 PM
I may still move to Aiken, South Carolina, if this hideous bitch of an incompetent lying woman lawyer gets elected chancery judge.

Maybe you shouldn't have married her then.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 17, 2009, 06:37:12 PM

The guys that went through with theirs generally seem to be happy with their decisions. Maybe you should have done it.  :)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 17, 2009, 08:25:30 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 17, 2009, 06:37:12 PM

The guys that went through with theirs generally seem to be happy with their decisions. Maybe you should have done it.  :)

Yeah, I'd probably be getting out by now anyway.  Horrid nightmare experiences, yes.  But also some really cool tats.