First rocky planet found outside solar system

Started by jimmy olsen, September 16, 2009, 06:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

Quote from: ulmont on September 18, 2009, 06:02:57 PM
Quote from: Neil on September 18, 2009, 05:13:25 PM
Orion is undoable because of wear and tear on the pusher plate.

The wiki seems to disagree:

Quotecalculations and experiments indicate that a steel pusher plate would ablate less than 1 mm if unprotected. If sprayed with an oil, it need not ablate at all (this was discovered by accident; a test plate had oily fingerprints on it, and the fingerprints suffered no ablation).
I was more thinking about wear on the moving parts, but it seems, judging from your wiki source, that damage to the pusher plate is also a serious concern.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

ulmont

Quote from: Neil on September 18, 2009, 09:11:11 PM
Quote from: ulmont on September 18, 2009, 06:02:57 PM
Quote from: Neil on September 18, 2009, 05:13:25 PM
Orion is undoable because of wear and tear on the pusher plate.

The wiki seems to disagree:

Quotecalculations and experiments indicate that a steel pusher plate would ablate less than 1 mm if unprotected. If sprayed with an oil, it need not ablate at all (this was discovered by accident; a test plate had oily fingerprints on it, and the fingerprints suffered no ablation).
I was more thinking about wear on the moving parts, but it seems, judging from your wiki source, that damage to the pusher plate is also a serious concern.

Well, definitely a serious concern, considering you're blowing up a nuclear bomb next to the pusher plate...