Man turns blue after self medication with silver compound

Started by Syt, September 12, 2009, 01:44:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1212557/Blue-man-Paul-Karason-blue-self-medicates-silver-skin-condition.html

QuoteMan turns BLUE after he self-medicates for a skin condition

By Mail Foreign Service
Last updated at 11:45 AM on 11th September 2009

* Comments (37)
    * Add to My Stories

A man who turned blue after self-medicating for a skin condition says his hue is lightening.

Paul Karason, 58, has the strange Papa Smurf look as a side effect of using a silver compound which he used more than a decade ago to treat a bad case of dermatitis on his face.

But he told NBC's Today Show that his skin is lightening because he is now using the self-administered doses of colloidal silver less.

'I'm in a place right now where it's very difficult for me to make my own, and my resources are limited and it's very expensive,' he explained to host Matt Lauer, a year after first appearing on the programme.

Colloidal silver is a suspension of silver in a liquid base - in this case, distilled water.

Silver has antibacterial properties and has been used to fight infection for thousands of years.

But it went out of use when penicillin, which is far more effective, was developed.

It continued to be used in some over-the-counter medicines until 1999, when the FDA banned it because it causes argyria, which is a result of the silver reacting with light the same way it does in photography.

The silver collects in the skin and other organs and does not dissipate, meaning Karason will be blue for life.

Karson also revealed he has recently broke off his relationship with partner Jackie Northrup during his interview today, who he was engaged to when he last appeared on the U.S. show.

He said: '[My skin] has lightened up, it is not major but it is lightening up. I am actually going to try green.'

So, is he Smurf, Andorian or Twi'Lek?

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Lucidor

Syt

Quote from: Lucidor on September 12, 2009, 03:24:30 AM
I need to visit Andorra, that chick was sort of hot.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Andorian
QuoteIn noncanonical novels by Pocket Books, Andorians have the four sexes; zhen, shen, chan, and thaan. In function and appearance, zhens and shens are largely female, and chans and thaans approximate males, with shens and chans the more androgynous of the pairings. in the postfinale novels of Deep Space Nine this quadrigender paradigm is cited as the reason for Andorian difficulty in maintaining adequate population growth in the face of near extinction.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Viking

Quote from: Syt on September 12, 2009, 03:29:51 AM
QuoteIn noncanonical novels by Pocket Books, Andorians have the four sexes; zhen, shen, chan, and thaan. In function and appearance, zhens and shens are largely female, and chans and thaans approximate males, with shens and chans the more androgynous of the pairings. in the postfinale novels of Deep Space Nine this quadrigender paradigm is cited as the reason for Andorian difficulty in maintaining adequate population growth in the face of near extinction.

I can just imagine the difficulty the drunken andoran would have to go through to get laid. The logistics that the drunk has to arrange just seem amazing.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Grey Fox

2 of my coworkers are crazy about this & actually make their own collaidal silver water.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

This seems like something I should be into.  I mean, it's ridiculously over-the-top... :unsure:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

Quote from: Viking on September 12, 2009, 04:41:44 AM

I can just imagine the difficulty the drunken andoran would have to go through to get laid. The logistics that the drunk has to arrange just seem amazing.

Nah. Just use human sexuality as an analogy. Thaans would be straight men, chans gay men, shens would be lesbians and zhens straight women. The only difference is, presumedly, an equal statistical spread between the four. Still, we do manage to get laid, even when drunk. ;)

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Agelastus

Quote from: Martinus on September 12, 2009, 05:05:10 PM
Nah. Just use human sexuality as an analogy. Thaans would be straight men, chans gay men, shens would be lesbians and zhens straight women. The only difference is, presumedly, an equal statistical spread between the four. Still, we do manage to get laid, even when drunk. ;)

You're Andorian!?!?!?!

That explains a lot... ;)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Martinus

Anyway, I'm disappointed noone has yet made the "listen to your body" joke. :(

Ideologue

Quote from: Lucidor on September 12, 2009, 03:24:30 AM
I need to visit Andorra, that chick was sort of hot.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Andorian

And I'm still waiting on a Goddamn diagram for that.  Lazy authors.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on September 12, 2009, 05:05:10 PM

Humans only need to find one member of the right group; it sounds like Andorians need to find three.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?