News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

ACORN, prostitution and tax evasion

Started by jimmy olsen, September 11, 2009, 02:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 11, 2009, 05:24:00 PM
Saw some footage on CNN.  They didn't show her face but the fake ho looks pretty damn good from the back.

Girl on the left.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Hansmeister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 11, 2009, 03:11:21 PM
Quote from: Berkut on September 11, 2009, 03:00:16 PM
Didn't Obama get his start with ACORN? Right?

No.  Different organization.
Yes, he worked for an organization that advised and trained ACORN volunteers, not for ACORN directly.

derspiess

Watched some more of the video.  Community organizing at its finest :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 11, 2009, 05:38:44 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 11, 2009, 05:33:08 PM
Frankly, I don't get the brouhaha over this.

OMG you have low-ranking members of a mass-membership organization engaging in dubious and/or illegal activities and then being fired for it? Stop the presses!  :rolleyes:
1) It's funny as shit.

2) The Obama connection.

It's odd how the Blackwater stuff wasn't very funny.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: Neil on September 11, 2009, 03:00:57 PM
Quote from: Berkut on September 11, 2009, 03:00:16 PM
Awesome.

Didn't Obama get his start with ACORN? Right? When he was just a young Muslim immigrant looking for a job?
Obama has moved into realms of corruption that ACORN can't even imagine.

Yes, he's president of the U.S. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Viking

I was handing out campaign literature for the conservative party for the upcoming election. A drunk came up to me and offered to vote conservative for 70 NOK (about US$ 15). Naturally I refused to pay him. He probably wasn't going to vote anyway, he can't give me a receipt as proof. Not to mention the whole thing being both illegal and immoral.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: KRonn on September 11, 2009, 02:37:29 PM
Yeah, just add this to the many other investigations, corruption allegations and convictions going on around the country for ACORN. And this organization is getting the nod to help do the census? Is that still on? If so, what a joke. We'll have 500 million people by the time they get through!!   :lol:

Not anymore. ^_^
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125271412822705239.html?mod=googlenews_wsj
QuoteCensus Bureau Cuts Its Ties With Acorn

September 12, 2009

By JAKE SHERMAN

WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Census Bureau on Friday dropped Acorn as a partner for the 2010 Census after two separate hidden-camera videos captured four employees of the community organization giving tax advice on running a brothel to a man posing as an aspiring politician and a woman posing as his girlfriend and a prostitute.

The Census Bureau earlier this year signed up the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, one of the nation's largest community groups, as a national partner for the decennial census, a role that entails helping to publicize the importance of the count and encouraging people to participate.

In a letter to Acorn President Maude Hurd, Census Director Robert Groves said Acorn had become a distraction.

Acorn's deputy national director, Brian Kettenring, said the organization won't stop promoting the 2010 Census. "We will continue to do what we've said we'll do, which is encourage people in communities to participate fully in the census," he said.

News reports have identified the filmmaker as 25-year-old James O'Keefe, an activist for conservative issues. His identity couldn't be independently verified. In the videos, posted on YouTube, he posed as an aspiring politician and told the Acorn workers that he planned to use his girlfriend's prostitution income to fund future campaigns. One video was filmed at the community organization's Baltimore office, and another, a day later, in Washington, D.C.

The workers, who Acorn said were fired after it learned of the videos, instructed the couple to set up a company to prove they had enough income for a house that would serve as a brothel and home for teenage prostitutes. The couple purported to be seeking help to obtain a housing loan.

Acorn released a statement earlier Friday saying that the videos were made to "misinform the public about Acorn housing."

"All Acorn housing staff members undergo rigorous training and are expected to comply with high standards for ethical behavior and compliance with the law," said president of Acorn Housing Alton Bennett and Executive Director Mike Shea.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

Yeah Tim, I saw that on the news, that the Census bureau shut off ties with ACORN. We'll see if it stands - lots of pressure from the Dems and lefties for ACORN. Dem John Conyers was one who called for investigation, but backed off shortly after, stating pressure from the powers to be. And he's an influential Democrat Congressman who caved.

DGuller

It's starting to get annoying how ACORN became the new catch-all word for something that is leftist and evil, sort of like "neo-con" for the other side.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on September 12, 2009, 02:13:36 PM
It's starting to get annoying how ACORN became the new catch-all word for something that is leftist and evil, sort of like "neo-con" for the other side.
:huh:

As in "Obamacare is way too ACORN?"  Or "the ACORN wing of the Democratic party will destroy the US economy?"

derspiess

Yeah, that.  I've lost count how many times I've blasted the goddamned leftist ACORNheads here on the forum for all their ACORNy ways. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

Quote from: DGuller on September 12, 2009, 02:13:36 PM
It's starting to get annoying how Congress doesn't investigate this criminal, raqueteering enterprise, as some Congress members call who are trying to get it investigated. The org gets our tax money, has a lot of issues being brought over it all the time. Some of its own branch or mid level members have been asking questions about funding, money, etc, and getting mostly grief for their whistle blowing.

CountDeMoney

They'd be OK if they renamed themselves Swift ACORNS For Truth.