Which High School Students Are Most Likely to Graduate From College?

Started by garbon, September 11, 2009, 12:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Martinus on September 11, 2009, 05:39:34 PM
Yeah, Merri. I bet juvenile delinquents fare much better than the gifted and talented kids. You go on believing the dream, girl.  :lmfao:

Edit: Also, I guess an article about the quality of education would carry more weight, if it wasn't full of typos.

Gifted kids do struggle at university, though. Most of the time, it's because they've never had to apply themselves, so when confronted with classes that don't come easily, they don't know how to study.

There was a study around a few years ago that showed that gifted kids had a slightly higher drop out rate than non-gifted kids, but I can't find it at the moment. I didn't remember SES, race, or gender being discussed in that study, but that doesn't mean those weren't factors.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on September 11, 2009, 06:54:40 PM
Weird.
Uni is usually a in for a penny in for a pound buisness for the poor.
If you manage to scrape up the money and grades to get there you finish it.
In the US, things are a bit different.  Something like 50% of the high school graduates attend college.  Clearly, not all of them are prepared to succeed.  A 44% dropout rate still leaves a 56% graduation rate, which translates to a college graduation rate equal to 28% of all high school graduates, which (if the old numbers I saw still hold true) is something like 100% better than the average for the OECD countries.

The question for the US is how to recognize and correct the admission of students not prepared to succeed in college.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on September 11, 2009, 06:54:40 PM
Weird.
Uni is usually a in for a penny in for a pound buisness for the poor.
If you manage to scrape up the money and grades to get there you finish it.
Yeah.  The drop-out rate in this country's low.  I think around 7% but even that, I believe, disproportionately effects the poor.
Let's bomb Russia!

dps

Of course, not all poor kids who drop out of college do so because they can't cut it academically.  Some of them end up having to drop out so that they can go to work full time.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on September 11, 2009, 07:25:25 PM
Gifted kids do struggle at university, though. Most of the time, it's because they've never had to apply themselves, so when confronted with classes that don't come easily, they don't know how to study.

While not the case across the board (and certainly would have been different had a stuck in my CS track), I found the majority of classes that I took to require less personal application than my classes in high school.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

If you have to apply yourself to get through university how exactly are you gifted?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: merithyn on September 11, 2009, 07:25:25 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 11, 2009, 05:39:34 PM
Yeah, Merri. I bet juvenile delinquents fare much better than the gifted and talented kids. You go on believing the dream, girl.  :lmfao:

Edit: Also, I guess an article about the quality of education would carry more weight, if it wasn't full of typos.

There was a study around a few years ago that showed that gifted kids had a slightly higher drop out rate than non-gifted kids, but I can't find it at the moment. I didn't remember SES, race, or gender being discussed in that study, but that doesn't mean those weren't factors.

I was part of a gifted pupil programme at the elementary school and the high school, and I graduated from the uni with honors. In fact, I'd say the uni required less work than highschool or the elementary school.

DontSayBanana

I'm starting to get really sick of these over-targeted statistics. A pretty large percentage of the student body at my school (including me) already "fulfilled the prophecy" of dropping out and are returning to earn a degree; 17.8% of attending students were over 35 during the Fall 2008 semester:

http://www.njintouch.state.nj.us/highereducation/statistics/Enr2008Age.htm

Approximately 15% (about 50,000) of ALL public institutions' students in NJ were over the age of 35; I just wonder if the research reflects the huge number of returning students.
Experience bij!

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: garbon on September 12, 2009, 01:18:40 AM
While not the case across the board (and certainly would have been different had a stuck in my CS track), I found the majority of classes that I took to require less personal application than my classes in high school.

Yeap.  There was little to no busy work in college compared to the mountain I would get in high school.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 12, 2009, 09:16:12 AM
I'm starting to get really sick of these over-targeted statistics. A pretty large percentage of the student body at my school (including me) already "fulfilled the prophecy" of dropping out and are returning to earn a degree; 17.8% of attending students were over 35 during the Fall 2008 semester:

http://www.njintouch.state.nj.us/highereducation/statistics/Enr2008Age.htm

Approximately 15% (about 50,000) of ALL public institutions' students in NJ were over the age of 35; I just wonder if the research reflects the huge number of returning students.

Why would they? I don't think that the various people in that article would consider that as a positive.

Valmy

QuoteFailing to open educational opportunities to all students will endanger "the long-term health of our country," the authors warn.

It sounds like lots of people are getting opportunities they just are not doing the work.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Quote from: Valmy on September 14, 2009, 08:38:07 AM
QuoteFailing to open educational opportunities to all students will endanger "the long-term health of our country," the authors warn.

It sounds like lots of people are getting opportunities they just are not doing the work.

Well, if you graduate from a crappy high school that really didn't do anything to educate you, and then you can't cut it at college, an argument can be made that you didn't have a real opportunity to succeed at college.