Anti-Abortion Activist Gunned Down Outside Michigan High School

Started by KRonn, September 11, 2009, 11:53:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32799068/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

Anti-abortion activist killed near Mich. school
Second man also shot dead at nearby business; suspect arrested

OWOSSO, Mich. - A man who was a well-known anti-abortion activist was shot and killed near a high school Friday, officials said.

Shortly afterward, a second man was shot dead at a nearby business.

"We have two murders," Shiawassee County Sheriff George Braidwood said, according to the Argus-Press newspaper. "We believe they are related and we have a suspect in custody."

A 33-year-old Owosso man who police said implicated himself in the second murder was taken into custody at his home shortly after the shootings.

The shooting across from the high school took place around 7:20 a.m. No students were injured.

Police identified the victim as Jim Pouillon, a longtime member of the anti-abortion group Operation Rescue. Pouillon was often seen carrying signs with anti-abortion slogans.

The Argus-Press reported that Gary Shepherd, who lives near the high school, said he was in bed sleeping when he heard "four shots and tires squealing."

He and his wife then went outside.

"I just saw several people that I knew who were medical officials working on (Pouillon) and giving him CPR," Shepherd said.

Although it was not immediately clear that Pouillon was targeted because of his beliefs, that was the initial speculation.

"It's a pretty sad day when somebody shoots someone over a political agenda that he had," said Shepherd. "He was always known as the 'sign man.' ... This country is based on freedom of speech."

All Owosso district schools were locked down, but reopened after the suspect was arrested.

Owosso is a town of about 15,000 and 70 miles northwest of Detroit.

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Faeelin

I'd be a lot more willing to believe he was shot for his activism if it wasn't Detroit.

Neil

Quote from: Faeelin on September 11, 2009, 11:55:40 AM
I'd be a lot more willing to believe he was shot for his activism if it wasn't Detroit.
And near a high school, to boot.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

PDH

Don't about a million people get gunned down in the USA every year?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

DisturbedPervert

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Savonarola

Quote from: Faeelin on September 11, 2009, 11:55:40 AM

Owosso isn't near Detroit; it's about halfway between Flint and Lansing.  It's the home town of Thomas Dewey.  :bowler:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

jimmy olsen

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 11, 2009, 12:08:20 PM
I've shot three people already this morning. No biggie.

After all, as Pryor says, everyone murders people.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: KRonn on September 11, 2009, 11:53:12 AM
Anti-abortion activist killed

Well, it's about time the pro-choicers started returning fire.
Quote"He was always known as the 'sign man.' ... This country is based on freedom of speech."

Annoying anti-choice people with annoying anti-choice signs sometimes simply need to be aborted in their 82nd trimester.