News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Considering getting a new PC

Started by Syt, March 24, 2009, 03:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

For 250 EUR less, I can get a similar system, but with a GTX260 instead of the 280, and a different (smaller) case.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I'm currently browsing an Austrian site that lets you mix/match components you want/like.

What's the consensus on AMD Phenom X4 9950 processors? :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Ok, I settled for:
CPU Intel Core4Quad Q9550 (4x 2,83GHz) So. 775
RAM 8192MB RAM DDR2 800MHz
GTX280 1024MB PCI-E 16x
1000GB HDD S-ATA II 7200rpm
DVD-RW
DVD-ROM
CardReader
Thermaltake ARMOR
750Watt Power supply with reduced noise

2 years of warranty

With OS (Vista 64bit) it's still cheaper by a few hundred EUR than less well equipped "brand name" PCs.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Iormlund

I'm not a fan of top of the line cards (or CPUs for that matter). I'd rather upgrade more frequently.

Caliga

I tend to get a top of the line motherboard and then upgrade the CPU/cards/memory over the life of the system, yeah.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

Quote from: Iormlund on March 26, 2009, 07:46:55 AM
I'm not a fan of top of the line cards (or CPUs for that matter). I'd rather upgrade more frequently.

Yeah, I was like that. These days I consider it more or less a zero sum thing - 3 x 200 or 1 x 600 (not counting interest).

I like not having to worry about this things for a while. I'm lazy.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on March 26, 2009, 08:18:07 AM
I tend to get a top of the line motherboard and then upgrade the CPU/cards/memory over the life of the system, yeah.

I'm getting a ASUS P5N-T SLI Deluxe Ed now. Hope it's a good one. I don't know much about motherbords. :unsure:

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

I have also decided on a new monitor:
24" 1920x1200, 5ms, 300cd (same as my current which I'm comfortable with), dynamic contrast 3000:1 (currently have 500:1). The model is a small brand (AOC), but it gets good customer reviews while costing under 250 EUR. Interpolation for lower resolutions seems also fine (which is important when playing some of Matrix' games with fixed resolutions).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

A pleasant surprise - instead of the GTX280 I got the GTX285. I won't complain.

The case is pretty, though maybe a bit on the r0xx0r 1337 kiddie side:

It's laid out to give easy access to the 5 1/4 slots and the HD rack right beneath them, so I will move over my old PC's HDs this weekend. I'm still undecided about getting a bluray drive; I will have to check first if there's much bother with copy protections when trying to play them on the PC.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

I'm sorry Syt, but that case is atrocious. :bleeding:

At least it has nice innards. :console:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on March 31, 2009, 10:51:08 AM
I'm sorry Syt, but that case is atrocious. :bleeding:

At least it has nice innards. :console:

It has a good price value, though. And I don't see the blue glowing fan side, because it's on the far side from where I sit. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

Don't listen to the Mac boy, Syt. I like the case.

I still plan to pick up an Antec 900 when ever I stop spending all my money on Paintball gear.

Wish I could get a Cosmos 100 http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?category_id=18&product_id=2700 but it's simply too big for my desk.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Malthus

That case ... a bit excessive.  :lol:

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius