News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Good Healthcare Article

Started by Sheilbh, September 08, 2009, 02:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

I honestly don't have a problem with some sort of plan that makes me pay for all the small routine stuff out of pocket but covers the large sudden costs. A hundred bucks for the odd doctor visit isn't going to bankrupt me. Something like that and universal would be perfectly acceptable, I think. It would give the patient more responsibility over their own health spending.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Berkut

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 11, 2009, 11:18:52 AM
I honestly don't have a problem with some sort of plan that makes me pay for all the small routine stuff out of pocket but covers the large sudden costs. A hundred bucks for the odd doctor visit isn't going to bankrupt me. Something like that and universal would be perfectly acceptable, I think. It would give the patient more responsibility over their own health spending.

Indeed. I don't understand the idea that people are just too stupid to manage their own healthcare costs, and hence the government should do it for them, at 5 times the cost to everyone.

This argument is like the ultimate nanny-state argument. The idea that people cannot possibly make choices for themselves, so instead we are going to remove the choice completely...which, by the way, doesn't actually avoid the bad choices, just makes them kind of random.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

KRonn

Yeah, agreed on that. I find it odd, or broken or something, that I can go to a routine doctor visit, costing several hundred dollars with lab tests or what ever, and only pay about a ten to twenty dollar co-pay. There should be deductibles per year or per visit, and our health care insurance set up differently, geared towards cheaper premiums but where the insurance doesn't pay for all the smaller stuff. I'd rather it pay for more catastrophic needs.

garbon

It would take my a little bit to get used to that though. My health insurance is robbing me blind, but I don't mind it that much as it is taking it from my paycheck before I even noticed...whereas I'd certainly noticed when asked to shell out a few hundred at one time.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Like the article said, we all shell out a few hundred a month (if not more) in utility bills.

Why is healthcare so different? I would much rather have that $12,000/year my employer pays for my health insurance in my pocket, and simply pay for my own care out of it, along with some kind of catastrophic insurance coverage.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on September 11, 2009, 12:22:59 PM
Like the article said, we all shell out a few hundred a month (if not more) in utility bills.

Why is healthcare so different? I would much rather have that $12,000/year my employer pays for my health insurance in my pocket, and simply pay for my own care out of it, along with some kind of catastrophic insurance coverage.

No I agree it would be better to have that money back. It'd just take a little getting used to.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on September 11, 2009, 12:19:04 PM
It would take my a little bit to get used to that though. My health insurance is robbing me blind, but I don't mind it that much as it is taking it from my paycheck before I even noticed...whereas I'd certainly noticed when asked to shell out a few hundred at one time.
It's politically impossible at this point and I think at almost any point.
Let's bomb Russia!