Yale draws criticism for nixing Muslim cartoons

Started by jimmy olsen, September 08, 2009, 11:01:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 08, 2009, 02:47:21 PM
QuoteI thought let's not call him Muhammad, let's not call it Mecca, let's not call it Islam, let's put it into a dream... how much further can you go before you say I am not trying to make a literal attack on Islam but a discussion about some of the themes which arise out of the religious experience."

:lol:

Who does he think he's fooling?
Especially as he named the Mohammed character 'Mahound' which is an Arabic name for the devil.  I believe the city that is meant to be Mecca is similarly named something like 'deception' in Arabic. 
Let's bomb Russia!

Kleves

I'm just surprised that no one until now had ever thought of violence as the means of stopping unwanted speech.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Valmy

Quote from: Kleves on September 08, 2009, 03:22:49 PM
I'm just surprised that no one until now had ever thought of violence as the means of stopping unwanted speech.

:lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

As has been said Yale is saying that Muslims are homicidal maniacs. Yay?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

I don't understand why Yale is publishing  this book, especially with the cartoons deleted.  It seems to me that publishing a book about how some mysterious cartoons offended Muslims, but declining to show the cartoons themselves, is absurd.  Who would buy such a book?  And mightn't Muslims get upset about a book talking about how upset they get?  What if the fact that Yale is even addressing the issue caused some Muslim to kill somebody?

No, it is clear that YUP isn't the place this book should be published.  Maybe not any book, but definitely not this one.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on September 08, 2009, 12:10:04 PM
When will America stand up against the Muslims and fight their evil ways?

Probably not, but motherfucking Languish will.

Hey Islam...FUCK YOU AND YOUR MOON GOD

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 08, 2009, 02:57:01 PM

Especially as he named the Mohammed character 'Mahound' which is an Arabic name for the devil.  I believe the city that is meant to be Mecca is similarly named something like 'deception' in Arabic.

I thought Mahound was just an old medieval name.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Scipio

Quote from: grumbler on September 08, 2009, 06:44:52 PM
I don't understand why Yale is publishing  this book, especially with the cartoons deleted.  It seems to me that publishing a book about how some mysterious cartoons offended Muslims, but declining to show the cartoons themselves, is absurd.  Who would buy such a book?  And mightn't Muslims get upset about a book talking about how upset they get?  What if the fact that Yale is even addressing the issue caused some Muslim to kill somebody?

No, it is clear that YUP isn't the place this book should be published.  Maybe not any book, but definitely not this one.
Agreed wholeheartedly.  But remember, this is the same Yale that surrendered to student protesters.  It may be forty years later, but the same stench of cowardice surrounds Eli's home.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Scipio on September 08, 2009, 10:10:20 PM

Agreed wholeheartedly.  But remember, this is the same Yale that surrendered to student protesters.  It may be forty years later, but the same stench of cowardice surrounds Eli's home.
Fucking Yalies.  Blue blood trash in the main, living off mommy and daddy's trust fund.
PDH!

Scipio

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 08, 2009, 10:12:19 PM

Fucking Yalies.  Blue blood trash in the main, living off mommy and daddy's trust fund.
I say we rape and pillage the sad fucks on principle.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Grallon

"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Scipio on September 08, 2009, 10:17:58 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 08, 2009, 10:12:19 PM

I say we rape and pillage the sad fucks on principle.
Onward brothers! The weak and degenerate ruling class can not keep us down!
PDH!

Hansmeister

Yale's objection has proably much more to do with Yale being the favourite University of the Saud family, who are large financial benefactors to Yale.  The fear of loss of money weighted much heavier on them than the fear of violence from muslims.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 08, 2009, 01:13:46 PM
I think this sort of issue is more difficult than most people here feel.

Being a publisher is a difficult thing.  At various points in American history it has meant suffering various significant persecution.  If you choose that profession, you take on those risks, as surely as choosing to be a sailor or soldier takes on the risks inherent to that profession.

If you aren't prepared to take that kind of heat from time to time, find a different profession and make way for those who are.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson