British citizen creates national uproar in Quebec

Started by viper37, September 04, 2009, 04:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ancient Demon

Quote from: Martinus on September 05, 2009, 12:38:22 PM
Hell, normally jingoism is an alien concept to me, but I think I could be a Canadian nationalist. Especially if it meant hating the Quebecois traitors.

Heh, you should see the posts by "Niptium" on the Paradox forums. :P
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Neil

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 05, 2009, 12:09:08 PM
Drakken, tell you friend to learn french or go home.
Quebec is in Canada.  English is the one and only language of Canada.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Drakken

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 05, 2009, 12:42:34 PM

His point still stands, though. The financing of French courses has taken a drop in recent years and needs to be much more promoted and sustained.

It might be great among your pals in the ivory tower at Le Devoir, but didn't you notice there is a shortage of nurses in Quebec's public healthcare system? If our local formation cannot withstand the demand and supply enough nurses for our hospitals, where to find nurses and such highly valued service providers but in the ROC?

Filling such high demand positions in health care demand that we reexamine our prerequisites and that we cut a little slack on this obsession. Perhaps Quebec should do what all civilized countries do, compromise and pay courses in French for Anglophones so that they may work in Quebec and learn the fucking language while they study to earn their schooling equivalencies.

And chances are the criteria forced on my friend's case were in fact arbitrarily imposed, just to piss on her because she is unilingually Anglo (like 80% or so of the WASP population in Canada), and that such requirements were in fact not needed.

And that does not excuse the cavalier and unprofessional, if not outright xenophobic treatment people from the Anglo community face when asking for service from some elements of Quebec's civil service when they can't speak French, like my friend. Especially in Montreal. The fact is translators services should be available, or they should be redirected to people who are bilingual, not ridiculed and insulted behind her back like she was.

EDIT: Errrrrrrrrrrrr, Oex was in fact in agreement with me. Meal culpa.  :Embarrass: :hug:

Drakken

Quote from: Neil on September 05, 2009, 01:01:41 PM

While I disagree, at least English should be available by default in public services, if only because Quebec is part of Canada and Quebec is the exception, not the rule.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Drakken on September 05, 2009, 02:15:09 PM
It might be great among your pals in the ivory tower at Le Devoir, but didn't you notice there is a shortage of nurses in Quebec's public healthcare system?

Before reverting to your usual aggressive manner, perhaps you should have read what I wrote, as I was agreeing with you regarding the needs to subsidy heavily French courses. Which is what was actually done in Quebec before 1990s.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Drakken

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 05, 2009, 02:28:15 PM
Quote from: Drakken on September 05, 2009, 02:15:09 PM
It might be great among your pals in the ivory tower at Le Devoir, but didn't you notice there is a shortage of nurses in Quebec's public healthcare system?

Before reverting to your usual aggressive manner, perhaps you should have read what I wrote, as I was agreeing with you regarding the needs to subsidy heavily French courses. Which is what was actually done in Quebec before 1990s.

I noticed too late, and I apologized. See my edit.   :lol:

Drakken

Quote from: Ancient Demon on September 05, 2009, 12:43:34 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 05, 2009, 12:38:22 PM
Hell, normally jingoism is an alien concept to me, but I think I could be a Canadian nationalist. Especially if it meant hating the Quebecois traitors.

Heh, you should see the posts by "Niptium" on the Paradox forums. :P

And I refer you to my reply to his last pro-separatist diatribe in the OT, in which I thoroughly trash his illusions with a sledgehammer.  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Drakken on September 05, 2009, 02:21:29 PM
While I disagree, at least English should be available by default in public services, if only because Quebec is part of Canada and Quebec is the exception, not the rule.
All public services should be bilingual.  If Ireland can have a Gaelic speaking police force then everyone in the public sector in Canada should be bilingual.  You at least have two living languages.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 05, 2009, 03:22:40 PM
All public services should be bilingual.  If Ireland can have a Gaelic speaking police force then everyone in the public sector in Canada should be bilingual.  You at least have two living languages.
You would either incur the massive expense of teaching every postmaster in the Yukon French or you would narrow down the pool of applicants dramatically.

Neil

Quote from: Drakken on September 05, 2009, 02:21:29 PM
Perhaps if both languages were equal.  However, English is superior to French in every way, and usage of French is concentrated in a relatively small area of the country.

Then again, since you come from a rather small, homogenous country, you probably don't appreciate the difficulties involved.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 05, 2009, 06:26:19 PM
You would either incur the massive expense of teaching every postmaster in the Yukon French or you would narrow down the pool of applicants dramatically.
I agree.  It should begin with every primary school being bilingual.  It might cost a bit to teach the teachers - though maybe there are enough Quebecois teachers.  This isn't, alas, immediately possible but it would only take a generation.

QuoteThen again, since you come from a rather small, homogenous country, you probably don't appreciate the difficulties involved.
Well smaller geographically.  I'd have no problem with every school in this country being bilingual, or non-English language medium.  Indeed one of my friends didn't learn English until he was 8 (grew up in a Welsh-speaking area of Wales) which I think is great.  It should be something we all get, especially in countries with two or more languages.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 05, 2009, 07:15:15 PM
I agree.  It should begin with every primary school being bilingual.  It might cost a bit to teach the teachers - though maybe there are enough Quebecois teachers.  This isn't, alas, immediately possible but it would only take a generation.
Politically impossible.  Besides, why educate children in what is effectively a dead language like French?

Admiral Yi

Shelf, when you're talking about a massive government outlay of funds it would be helpful if your justification were a little more substantial than "I think it would be nice."

Rex Francorum

Quote from: Martinus on September 05, 2009, 12:37:40 PM

Fuck you. The language of Canada is English. You lost the war. Canada: love it or leave it.

Actually, it is what many wants... that Québec leaves Canada

Language of Canada maybe english but language of Québec is french  :P
To rent

Rex Francorum

Quote from: Neil on September 05, 2009, 01:01:41 PM

Try to say that to people of Charlevoix, Abitibi or Kamouraska :P
To rent