News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Rape and the Modern Penal Code

Started by Faeelin, March 24, 2009, 07:50:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

By the way, the number of lawyers and law students Languish has amuses me. We should set up a firm.

Lampkin & Adama?

.... Nevermind.

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on March 24, 2009, 10:30:28 AM
Quote from: Faeelin on March 24, 2009, 10:25:45 AM
Quote from: Barrister on March 24, 2009, 10:24:43 AM
Faeelin, you're in first year law, right?

Why the fuck are you studying this kind of touchy-feely comparitive law stuff in first year?  Thats the only year they seem to teach black letter law in most schools, this kind of analysis should come in second or third year.

You didn't take criminal law as a 1L?

Does Canada have a province by province penal code, or is nationwide?

Yes, first year.  But it focused much more on principles and case readings, not comparitive stuff (even with my prof being a raging feminist).  This historical analysis of rape seems more appropriate to a athird year "women and the law" course.

Huh, it was the same for me, except I took CrimLaw my first semester, not second like Faeelin is (I guess?) in.  I even remember specifically dealing with People v. Warren.

Fwiw, should an allegation of rape (uncorroborated by any evidence) be prosecuted?  I don't think so.

Edit: I also remember the lifeboat case.  Those guys got railroaded.

I'm also kind of surprised they admitted it.  "Dude went crazy from thirst and hunger, jumped off the boat, and started swimming for it.  Well, that's how I remember it (burp)." :p
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)