Libyan leader Gaddafi files motion to partition Switzerland at UN

Started by Syt, September 03, 2009, 11:08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on September 04, 2009, 02:23:27 PM
I'm not aware of any dispute over whether or not we ousted Arbenz.... in fact hasn't the US gov't subsequently admitted to it?

We I never heard there was any dispute over whether or not we ousted Allende either until I started learning about it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

The thing I find weird is the American focus on Chavez, which I just don't understand.  I think it's because he's colourful and stridently anti-American but he's not even the worst guy in Latin America.  In terms of international dictatorships the guy's a pussycat.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 04, 2009, 02:43:26 PM
The thing I find weird is the American focus on Chavez, which I just don't understand.  I think it's because he's colourful and stridently anti-American but he's not even the worst guy in Latin America.  In terms of international dictatorships the guy's a pussycat.

Venezuela is one of the richest and most important countries in Latin America.  The bigger countries get more attention.  And we do not really talk about him all that much he just pops up in Languish threads alot.

It just saddens me to see yet another fucking South American populist setting his country back decades.  It gets really tiresome and makes you despair a bit if the continent will ever sort itself out.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

He's weird and he is very good at saying the kinds of things that wilol get him into the news.  I find it weird that so many Euros think that, because somebody is good at getting into the US news, there is some kind of "American focus" on him.  What you don't understand is that news organizations report on what they think viewers/readers will pay attention to, so those same viewers or readers will also view/read the ads that pay for the news in the US.  Chavez is less interesting to European news organizations because he isn't talking about European countries as his great enemy, by and large, and also he is far away from you and so of inherently less interest.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on September 04, 2009, 02:45:28 PM
It just saddens me to see yet another fucking South American populist setting his country back decades.  It gets really tiresome and makes you despair a bit if the continent will ever sort itself out.
[Euro]That's all America's fault! [/Euro]
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

I can think of 3 million barrels a day of reasons why.

Except of course that now it is more like 2.4 million.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

But Brazil the biggest and the most important Latin American country has had a hugely successful past 15 years.  In the wider context that looks more like what's happening in the rest of Latin America, not Chavezismo.

In other words, why not show Lula some love? <_<

QuoteWhat you don't understand is that news organizations report on what they think viewers/readers will pay attention to, so those same viewers or readers will also view/read the ads that pay for the news in the US.  Chavez is less interesting to European news organizations because he isn't talking about European countries as his great enemy, by and large, and also he is far away from you and so of inherently less interest.
I think that's what I've said.  He's colourful and stridently anti-American so more interesting, but not any more important or egregiously tyrannical. 
Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

I wish there was more news about Brazil.  I like Brazil better than Venezuela.  Can't that LuLu guy say some funny shit, but only harmless funny like Silvio does?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on September 04, 2009, 03:12:41 PM
I wish there was more news about Brazil.  I like Brazil better than Venezuela.  Can't that LuLu guy say some funny shit, but only harmless funny like Silvio does?

Maybe he'll have the golf courses closed like Hugo.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 04, 2009, 03:16:13 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 04, 2009, 03:14:38 PM
Silvio is not harmless.

Commie.

He's not that either although with the head of government controlling all the media it might look that way.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Venezuela is one of the richest and most important countries in Latin America.  The bigger countries get more attention.  And we do not really talk about him all that much he just pops up in Languish threads alot.

Every politician is a populist.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017