Libyan leader Gaddafi files motion to partition Switzerland at UN

Started by Syt, September 03, 2009, 11:08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ape on September 03, 2009, 02:54:40 PM
The problem is that the rhetoric (some might say propaganda) from the US government and US media is very similar against Chavez as it was against Allende. It could all very well simply be a case of 'Cry wolf', and how would we know that this time there is actually a wolf?

Is it your position that there is some risk that the Obama administration is going to direct the CIA to back a coup in Venezuel?  Because that is serious tinfoil-hattery.

QuoteNot to mention that there are striking similarites between Allende's Chile and Chavez' Venezuela such as that boh wished to nationalise natural resources (copper in Chile and Oil in Venezuela) owned by major corporations based in the USA.

Chavez has nationalized huge swaths of the economy and the US has just sat on its hands.  Its not 1973 anymore, the Cold War is long over.  If third world countries want to commit economic suicide the US doesn't interfere anymore.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ape

Quote from: Valmy on September 03, 2009, 04:15:16 PM
I think you are picking and choosing.  You are ignoring every good thing we do and obsessing over every bad thing and conclude therefore that all we do is bad.

Good things like?

The late 20th century?  You hate us for intervening in Bosnia, Kosovo, Somalia, defending Kuwait?  What the fuck did we do so badly in the late 20th and early 21st century to hurt self determination?  Do you have one example?
Nicaragua, Vietnam, Kuwait I couldn't care less about, Chile, Cuba, Iraq, Greece, Italy, Guatemala, Brazil, Argentina to name a few

Siege

QuoteRelations between Switzerland and Libya crumbled after Gaddafi's son Hannibal, 33, and his pregnant wife were arrested in Geneva a year ago accused of assaulting a hotel chamber maid.

Gaddafi's son is called Hannibal?     :lmfao:

Did Gaddfi change his first name to Hamilcar? I wouldn't be surprised.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Hansmeister

I thought we had already established in the old languish that there is no evidence that the CIA was behind the coup in Chile.  Indeed, similarly as in Honduras it was Allende who precipitated the crisis when he tried to set himself up as dictator leading to the revolt by the legislature, the judiciary, and the military against his rule.

Jaron

Quote from: Ape on September 03, 2009, 04:37:00 PM
I think you are picking and choosing.  You are ignoring every good thing we do and obsessing over every bad thing and conclude therefore that all we do is bad.

Good things like?

The late 20th century?  You hate us for intervening in Bosnia, Kosovo, Somalia, defending Kuwait?  What the fuck did we do so badly in the late 20th and early 21st century to hurt self determination?  Do you have one example?
Nicaragua, Vietnam, Kuwait I couldn't care less about, Chile, Cuba, Iraq, Greece, Italy, Guatemala, Brazil, Argentina to name a few

Greece?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

I think it's sanctimonious for Sweden to criticize any military aggression perpetrated by any country today considering their viking track record.  :mad:

Ape

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 03, 2009, 04:35:57 PM

Is it your position that there is some risk that the Obama administration is going to direct the CIA to back a coup in Venezuel?  Because that is serious tinfoil-hattery.

I don't think the current administration within the USA has been in office long enough for anyone to give a verdict to that, however I hope and I do believe that the current administration will refrain from such action, but you can never know for certain  :(

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 03, 2009, 04:35:57 PM
If third world countries want to commit economic suicide the US doesn't interfere anymore.
So the former US government did not call for an economic and diplomatic isolation of Venezuela from it's neighbours? While maybe not as heavy handed as in -73 in Chile, it still did interfere.

Valmy

Quote from: Ape on September 03, 2009, 04:37:00 PM
Nicaragua

Iran-Contra?  The thing our Congress forbade doing but some fucks in the executive branch did anyway?  Putting that on the whole country is really unfair.  Now the shit we did in the EARLY 20th century in Nicaragua was pretty fucked up.

QuoteVietnam

We thought we were defending an allied state from attack.  Were you also mad we stepped in against North Korea?  But again that was all over by 1975 so how is that late 20th, early 21st century?

QuoteKuwait I couldn't care less about

Ok then.

QuoteChile

What have we done since 1974?

QuoteCuba

Yeah so we have an embargo but that is totally petty and driven by the need to please Cuban emigres.  It is stupid I grant you that but how does that help self determination?  I have a real hard time seeing a single party dictatorship like Cuba being a shining example of self-determination.

QuoteIraq

Saddam Hussein and the Ba'ath party: a shining example of self-determination.  Are you shitting me?

QuoteGreece

Again we had nothing to do with the Military taking power we just supported them, for strategic reasons because of that Cold War thing.  Also this did not take place in the late 20th century or the 21st century.

QuoteItaly

Huh?

QuoteGuatemala

Hey now that was 1954.  You cannot possibly be this ignorant about dates.

QuoteBrazil, Argentina

??? huh?

Quoteto name a few

So far all I got is that you hate us for shit done during the Cold War, but hey it was dirty work and we were the poor bastards who had to combat the Soviets we certainly did not want to do all that cloak and dagger shit.  But I thought you were talking about the late 20th, early 21st century here?

Also you think Saddam Hussein was a great example of national self-determination, but come on now man!  It is not like we installed another dictator we are trying to set up a popular controlled government.

Seriously though, what do you have from the LATE 20th and 21st centuries?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Siege

Quote from: Berkut on September 03, 2009, 03:55:33 PM
Sometimes the ends do justify the means.

I've always wondered about that saying - it is so self-evidently true, that it doesn't make much sense as an accusation.

I agree.

Like the bombing of Osirak.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Martinus on September 03, 2009, 04:59:38 PM
I think it's sanctimonious for Sweden to criticize any military aggression perpetrated by any country today considering their viking track record.  :mad:

You're right. They should be apologizing for Russia.
Experience bij!

Valmy

Quote from: Jaron on September 03, 2009, 04:55:52 PM
Greece?

He is talking about the Military government in the 60s and 70s that we recognized.  Greece was strategically important.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

I just love the US reaction btw:

QuoteU.S. Ambassador Susan Rice yesterday challenged the Libyan leader to behave himself during his upcoming first-ever U.N. visit

:D

Normally, when a country is calling for another country's partition, people are voicing their concern and protest. Here it's just  :rolleyes:

Siege

Hey Ape, I hope my next deployment after this one is to Venezuela.
That would be soooo fuckin COOL!!!!!!

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on September 03, 2009, 11:58:21 AM
I am glad to see a world leader finally step in to combat the Swiss menace.

Charles the Bold shall finally be avenged. -_-

Martinus

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 03, 2009, 05:02:35 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 03, 2009, 04:59:38 PM

You're right. They should be apologizing for Russia.

That would actually be funny. :D