Supreme Court to Revisit ‘Hillary’ film and corporate cash in politics

Started by jimmy olsen, August 30, 2009, 05:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

The extent to which third parties can enter the political fray during elections, mainly challenges to third party spending rules, has been litigated a fair amount here in Canada over the last 10 years.  It will be interesting to see what the USSC does.

ulmont

Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 2009, 10:52:02 AM
How does the USSC justify what may or may not be 'reasonable' limits on a right, especially since the Bill of Rights doesn't have any kind of limiting section?

Basically, they make it up as they go along, guided by precedent, like everything else.  To extremely oversimplify, there are 3 different levels of scrutiny:

Strict scrutiny:  To be constitutional under strict scrutiny, the law must (1) be justified by a compelling governmental interest, (2) must be narrowly tailored to achieve that interest, and (3) must be the least restrictive means of accomplishing that interest.  Strict scrutiny is typically applied when a fundamental right is implicated (including those from the bill of rights), or where racial classifications are imposed.  In the free speech context, strict scrutiny is applied for laws that restrict speech in a public forum and laws that restrict speech based on its viewpoint or content.

Intermediate scrutiny:  To be constitutional under intermediate scrutiny, a law must (1) involve important governmental interests that are (2) furthered by substantially related means.  Intermediate scrutiny is typically applied to sex-based classifications.  In the free speech context, intermediate scrutiny is applied for laws that restrict sexually explicit (but not obscene) speech and for content-neutral laws that restrict speech.

Rational basis:  To be constitutional under rational basis review, a law must be (1) rationally related to a (2) legitimate government interest.  Rational basis review is applied whenever strict or intermediate scrutiny is not implicated.  In the free speech context, rational basis review is applied to the regulation of obscene speech.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 31, 2009, 11:48:58 AM
The extent to which third parties can enter the political fray during elections, mainly challenges to third party spending rules, has been litigated a fair amount here in Canada over the last 10 years.  It will be interesting to see what the USSC does.

And, in an ironic little twist, the leading case is Stephen Harper v Canada.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

dps

Quote from: alfred russel on August 31, 2009, 11:38:26 AM
Quote from: Faeelin on August 31, 2009, 07:30:58 AM
Quote from: Barrister on August 30, 2009, 11:16:25 PM
And since I'm not a US lawtalker I stand to be corrected, but corporations, being persons at law, I believe would have a guaranteed freedom of speech.

Right, but they're persons at law because of a government fiction, not because they're actually persons. So can one restrict their First Amendment Rights in a more serious way?

Screw it, I don't have con law til next semester.

The fiction that corporations are persons at law only obscures that they are ultimately ways for individuals to conduct their affairs in society.

For example, for tax reasons I may choose to conduct my mom and pop business through a corporation. Does that mean that if I transfer assets into the corporation I lose the right to use those assets to express certain opinions? Is it potentially an abuse of the first amendment to advantage certain types of corporations--incentivizing people to transfer assets to them--and then restricting the the speech of the corporations? Or is this a slippery slope argument and as silly as the UN black helicopters?

As a legal matter, of course the exact status of a corporation as opposed to an individual is a big part of the issue.  But on another level, this is just a bald-faced effort to suppress expression of certain political views, something which I think should be strongly opposed.

DGuller

How is this suppression of certain political views?  Is bribery protected by First Amendment?

dps

Quote from: DGuller on August 31, 2009, 04:50:58 PM
How is this suppression of certain political views?  Is bribery protected by First Amendment?

How the heck is the distribution of books advocating a certain position a form of bribery?

Neil

Quote from: dps on August 31, 2009, 04:55:05 PM

How the heck is the distribution of books advocating a certain position a form of bribery?
Because you're supporting the politicians who espouse those views?

It's Dorsey.  He's retarded.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Except that books weren't what's going on.  The law does not cover that.  That's just somebody playing a game of what if.  No books have been banned.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on August 31, 2009, 08:16:20 PM

Except that books weren't what's going on.  The law does not cover that.  That's just somebody playing a game of what if.  No books have been banned.

I understand that the book thing was a hypothetical.  I still don't see where bribery entered into the discussion.

Razgovory

It's the logical extension of money as a form of speech I guess.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

Not sure I'd like to read the briefs first.

But gut feeling is that this goes to far in regulating political speech.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson