Friends, foes mark WWII’s beginning in Poland

Started by KRonn, September 01, 2009, 09:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saskganesh

but you can have equality under the law, equality of rights,  both egalitarian concepts and not antithetical to freedom.
humans were created in their own image

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tamas on September 02, 2009, 02:51:56 PM
:rolleyes: for starters, we did not take any land from czechslovakia, yugoslavia and romania. We took back what was ours. We choosed an abysmal ally to achieve that, true, but the fact remains: we were taking back what was ours.

Your entire country belonged to the Habsburgs; keep up this stuff about "taking back what was ours", and we will be forced to turn over all you rascally rebels to that antediluvian fathead Otto.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: saskganesh on September 02, 2009, 03:16:25 PM
but you can have equality under the law, equality of rights,  both egalitarian concepts and not antithetical to freedom.

Except the Freedom to be unequal.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

I am not going to waste energy on debating the claim that a society where 100% equal distribution of wealth could be free, or even just. That's utter naive stupidity. Even anarcho-capitalism, my utopia of choice has more sense of reality, and I am the first to admit that if it was to put to practice it would end up as feudalism in a matter of weeks.

Communism, especially if "done right" is a nightmare.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tamas on September 02, 2009, 03:38:44 PM
I am not going to waste energy on debating the claim that a society where 100% equal distribution of wealth could be free, or even just. That's utter naive stupidity. Even anarcho-capitalism, my utopia of choice has more sense of reality, and I am the first to admit that if it was to put to practice it would end up as feudalism in a matter of weeks.

Communism, especially if "done right" is a nightmare.

Commies want free stuff.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ed Anger

I wish I could pull off wearing yellow and green socks.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on September 02, 2009, 02:50:23 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 02, 2009, 02:46:39 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 02, 2009, 02:41:25 PM
For joining Germany, for taking it's piece of the Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia and Romania.  Hungary invaded the Soviet Union with it's eyes wide open.

You are right on the first part but Germany had to arrange for the Soviet airforce to bomb Hungary to get the Hungarians to declare war on the USSR.

Romania was the only Axis ally eager to join in the attacking of the Soviets, but only to get the territory Stalin took from them back.

Since Hungary and Italy had no interest in getting any Soviet land they were less interested.

Heh.  Hitler also got the Poles to take a German Radio station...
:lol:

Martinus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 02, 2009, 01:52:47 PM
Quote from: Zanza on September 02, 2009, 10:28:03 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 02, 2009, 09:13:46 AMIncidentally, Holocaust was not a part of the "nazism theory" any more than gulags were part of the "communism theory".
I disagree with that assessment. Genocide is a core tenet of Nazism, whereas it is only coincidental with Communism.

The Kraut has the right of it.

The systematic murder of "undesirable peoples" is simply the consquence of taking nazism to its logical conclusion.  Literally a final solution to the problem the ideology defines at the outset and sets out to overcome.

Communism as an ideology does not as a matter of pure logic require mass murder, it just so happens that mass murder is one of the few techniques that is sufficiently effective for coercing human beings into complying with the system, and hence is often resorted to by communist regimes that want to stick around for more than a few weeks.

Ok I'm willing to concede your observation on nazism when it comes to people like homosexuals, the mentally disabled etc (but then again such groups were persecuted, albeit not to the same degree, by the contemporaries of Hitler even in Western democracies). However, I'd argue that when it comes to ethnic minorities, such as Jews, the Roma etc., nazism does not absolutely require their systematic murder - a removal from the territory of a nazi country would be enough - that is why the nazis seriously entertained the preposterous notion of shipping off all the Jews to Madagascar.

The nazi ideologues want to achieve a perfect society through a "racial purity" - that involves a removal of ethnic minorities, but not necessarily their physical annihilation, I'd say. I think that's actually how many Germans were deluded into passively supporting the nazis.

Warspite

Quotea removal from the territory of a nazi country would be enough - that is why the nazis seriously entertained the preposterous notion of shipping off all the Jews to Madagascar.

I find it hard to believe an ideology that was seriously convinced that international "Jewry" was an existential threat would have truly been satisfied with merely exiling them.

No, I'm afraid annihilation was the only possible outcome for the Jews under Nazism. This was a regime that would rather use rolling stock to transport its victims to the death camps even in the dying days of the war when they could have been used for precious ammunition and supplies.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on September 02, 2009, 04:34:00 PM
However, I'd argue that when it comes to ethnic minorities, such as Jews, the Roma etc., nazism does not absolutely require their systematic murder - a removal from the territory of a nazi country would be enough

Ultimately it wasn't enough, and that was no accident.  It wasn't enough to simply remove individual Jews from the territorial limits, because that would still leave the threat of "der erwige Jude".   thus, emigration and expulsion were regarded as "provisional" or temporary solutions in the absence of other effective remedies.  Once the nature of the War in the East made physical killing on a mass scale a feasible option technically and politically, the Nazis immediately jumped to adopt it.  One of the most interesting things about Wansee is that none of the attendees questioned or were even surprised at the notion of physical elimination.  Stuckart raised issues about mixed marriages and Neumann complained about labor shortages but no one stood and said - "hey what's all this about final solutions - isn't expulsion enough"?  Nothing like that happened, b/c the "solution" of mass murder was recognized for what it was - the most logical and natural method for implementing the Reich's ideological imperative.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

I don't think the Madagascar thing was seriously considered.  And I believe the idea was to keep them in prison camps there.

Martinus

Ok but I think we are comparing apples and oranges here.

The claim that "communism is not murderous in theory" is based on whose theory? Stalin's? He advocated mass murder. Lenin's? He advocated international revolution that was to be bloody. No, the claim is based on writings of Marx.

If so, then comparing this to Hitler's "Mein Kampf" really doesn't make sense, since Hitler would be the nazi equivalent of Lenin or Stalin, not of Marx. Admittedly, there isn't the same kind of "father figure" for nazism, but you'd be more correct looking at one of the late 19th century German philosophers than Hitler for the "theoretical foundations of nazism".