News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

An Ivy League Huey Long

Started by jimmy olsen, August 31, 2009, 11:53:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: The Larch on August 31, 2009, 04:48:12 PM
Oficial State Drink? Oficial State Soft Drink? Which legislature wastes a second deciding that? What's next, Oficial State Munchies?

Better that than fucking up something important.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Savonarola

Oficial State Drink? Oficial State Soft Drink? Which legislature wastes a second deciding that? What's next, Oficial State Munchies?

Official State Rock Song, of course:

QuoteHOUSE CONCURRENT RESOLUTION NO. 16
WHEREAS, The members of the 116th General Assembly of Ohio wish to recognize the rock song "Hang On Sloopy" as the official rock song of the great State of Ohio; and

WHEREAS, In 1965, an Ohio-based rock group known as the McCoys reached the top of the national record charts with "Hang On Sloopy," composed by Bert Russell and Wes Farrell, and that same year, John Tagenhorst, then an arranger for the Ohio State University Marching Band, created the band's now-famous arrangement of "Sloopy," first performed at the Ohio State-Illinois football game on October 9, 1965; and

WHEREAS, Rock music has become an integral part of American culture, having attained a degree of acceptance no one would have thought possible twenty years ago; and

WHEREAS, Adoption of "Hang On Sloopy" as the official rock song of Ohio is in no way intended to supplant "Beautiful Ohio" as the official state song, but would serve as a companion piece to that old chestnut; and

WHEREAS, If fans of jazz, country-and-western, classical, Hawaiian and polka music think those styles also should be recognized by the state, then by golly, they can push their own resolution just like we're doing; and

WHEREAS, "Hang On Sloopy" is of particular relevance to members of the Baby Boom Generation, who were once dismissed as a bunch of long-haired, crazy kids, but who now are old enough and vote in sufficient numbers to be taken quite seriously; and

WHEREAS, Adoption of this resolution will not take too long, cost the state anything, or affect the quality of life in this state to any appreciable degree, and if we in the legislature just go ahead and pass the darn thing, we can get on with more important stuff; and

WHEREAS, Sloopy lives in a very bad part of town, and everybody, yeah, tries to put my Sloopy down; and

WHEREAS, Sloopy, I don't care what your daddy do, 'cause you know, Sloopy girl, I'm in love with you; therefore be it Resolved, That we, the members of the 116th General Assembly of Ohio, in adopting this Resolution, name "Hang On Sloopy" as the official rock song of the State of Ohio; and be it further Resolved, That the Legislative Clerk of the House of Representatives transmit duly authenticated copies of this Resolution to the news media of Ohio.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

Whereas, This proposal is stupid.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: garbon on August 31, 2009, 04:56:29 PM

It's Ohio.  Ohio and stupid go together like milk and cookies.

Savonarola

Quote from: dps on August 31, 2009, 04:58:24 PM
It's Ohio.  Ohio and stupid go together like milk and cookies.

Why does everyone pick on the land of mediocre presidents?   :(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Barrister

QuoteWHEREAS, If fans of jazz, country-and-western, classical, Hawaiian and polka music think those styles also should be recognized by the state, then by golly, they can push their own resolution just like we're doing; and

WHEREAS, "Hang On Sloopy" is of particular relevance to members of the Baby Boom Generation, who were once dismissed as a bunch of long-haired, crazy kids, but who now are old enough and vote in sufficient numbers to be taken quite seriously; and

WHEREAS, Adoption of this resolution will not take too long, cost the state anything, or affect the quality of life in this state to any appreciable degree, and if we in the legislature just go ahead and pass the darn thing, we can get on with more important stuff; and

WHEREAS, Sloopy lives in a very bad part of town, and everybody, yeah, tries to put my Sloopy down; and

WHEREAS, Sloopy, I don't care what your daddy do, 'cause you know, Sloopy girl, I'm in love with you;

:lol:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

You laugh Beeb. I've had that song driven into my fucking skull.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

New Jersey has a better state song.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Fireblade

Arkansas's state drink should be moonshine.

MadImmortalMan

I can play Sloopy in my sleep. Nightmares, even.

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on August 31, 2009, 04:58:24 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 31, 2009, 04:56:29 PM

It's Ohio.  Ohio and stupid go together like milk Tomato Juice and cookies.

Fixed it for you.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Fireblade

Shit, I WISH Obama would take a few pages from the Kingfish's playbook.

Obama needs to quit pussyfooting around with the Republicans and get liberal as hell. I'm getting tired quick of his centrism and pandering to a dead party and a dead ideology.

And in other news, George Will is a hack and an idiot. A slightly smarter   William Kristol, if you will.

Valmy

We have an official State Dinosaur but not a State Beverage.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 31, 2009, 05:42:25 PM
You laugh Beeb. I've had that song driven into my fucking skull.

I was singing it Saturday at the Hofbrauhaus  :blush:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall