News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Lee wets himself, aka Grant Takes Command

Started by Berkut, August 31, 2009, 11:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

AAR of May 5th :

"Uncle John" Sedgewick's corps slug-marched up a few hexes and decided that they had found a good spot to rest at the remainder of the day.

Lee and 2/3 of Hill's corps fast-marched off closer to Spotsylvania County, prepared to back up Ewell and Longstreet's corps if they're forced back.

Grant had about a pint of bourbon within the course of an hour, fell asleep and, without him, the entire Union army took a nap.  And dug in.

The AoNV decided that they should match the entrenchment efforts and now The Wilderness looks like Verdun circa 1915.

(Translation : After Berkut winning the first round's initiative, then my winning the second round, the initiative dice came up 1/1--meaning that Berkut then had a 50% chance of the day continuing.  He failed his roll, so it passed to me to voluntarily continue the day or not.  Seeing no reason to give the Yankees even more time to move up...I called the day off and gave everyone a nice, sunny day to entrench!)
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Map of the fortified camp that is The Wilderness.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Berkut

May 6th dawns clear.

Sedgewicks Corps finally makes it across the Rapidan, and moves into position south of the Wilderness tavern, flanking Ewell Corps.

However, Longstreet arrives to save the day, securing the Confederate southern flank, and allowing Ewell to counter-attack, driving Wright back, but exhausting 2/3rds of Ewells corps in the process.

Hancock then attacks Johnstons division, left to hold the north flank, but the attack goes poorly, losing 3000 Union to only around 1000 Confederate casualties.

Warren continues to hurry up, and is poised to cross into the Wilderness as well, which is turning into quite the mess, to be completely honest.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Both of these attacks made something clear - you need to have more than a little bit of superiority to attack. The 'D' result means you add 3 Fatigue, and are Disoraganized. Since you spent 1 Fatigue to make the attack, that puts you at 4 - which means you are done for the turn.

Which doesn't mean that you should never make such an attack - had I rolled 1 higher, the result would have been MUCH better, with him forced to retreat, me advancing,and his position taken. But if you are looking to make successive attacks, you need a better result.

There is a great sense of "But I need to attack NOW...before he can respond!" though. I should probably ahve moved Mott and Birney into position to support the attack - but if I did that, he could ahve dug some more, or moved out, or even counter-attacked first!

I am really, really liking this game system.

0 rows returned

Ape

Quote from: Berkut on September 03, 2009, 10:03:11 AM
losing 3000 Union to only around 1000 Confederate casualties.

Are you telling me you lost 6 sp vs. 2 ? yikes, that's a freaking horrible result, your dice rolls must be crap  :cry:

Habbaku

Quote from: Ape on September 03, 2009, 11:23:53 AM
Are you telling me you lost 6 sp vs. 2 ? yikes, that's a freaking horrible result, your dice rolls must be crap  :cry:

He actually lost 3 SPs to my 0--but both sides ended up dropping ammunition and becoming disorganized/fatigue 4-ed in the process.

His battle modifier was only +2 and the rolls ended up 1/2 in my favor.  Add that on top of the fact that he assaulted with nearly triple the number of troops I had and you end up with a recipe for lots of Yankee dead.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ape

Quote from: Habbaku on September 03, 2009, 11:42:54 AM

He actually lost 3 SPs to my 0--but both sides ended up dropping ammunition and becoming disorganized/fatigue 4-ed in the process.

His battle modifier was only +2 and the rolls ended up 1/2 in my favor.  Add that on top of the fact that he assaulted with nearly triple the number of troops I had and you end up with a recipe for lots of Yankee dead.

Ah ok, they must have changed the scale somewhat since the first three games of the series :unsure: was roughly 500 soldiers per infantry SP and 750 for cavalry

jimmy olsen

What's the scale of these hexes? 1/2 a mile?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Berkut

0 rows returned