News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Who are the politicians?

Started by Viking, August 31, 2009, 10:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on September 01, 2009, 04:57:43 AM
In Hong Kong, the bulk of the ministers and indeed the head of government are all career civil servants.  They are the only ones who have any experience in administration.  The elected politicians are perpetually in opposition. 

How does a group hold the majority of the seats without being elected politicians?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Viking on August 31, 2009, 01:08:51 PMPlato had that idea 2400 years ago.
:yes:

It would indeed work better, but the only for it to come to pass is going to be violent revolution, since the people who currently hold power would never willingly agree to fire each other en masse.  :lol:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on September 01, 2009, 07:31:36 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on September 01, 2009, 04:57:43 AM
In Hong Kong, the bulk of the ministers and indeed the head of government are all career civil servants.  They are the only ones who have any experience in administration.  The elected politicians are perpetually in opposition. 

How does a group hold the majority of the seats without being elected politicians?

In HK, the executive administration and the legislature are elected separately, like the US.  The ministers are appointed by the chief executive.  Here, the only people who have any experience in governing are the civil servants, so they get to be appointed. 

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on September 01, 2009, 08:58:41 PM
In HK, the executive administration and the legislature are elected separately, like the US.  The ministers are appointed by the chief executive.  Here, the only people who have any experience in governing are the civil servants, so they get to be appointed. 

Yeah we have people like that as well.  I suppose it is a side effect of having an elected executive separate from the legislative.  But I do not get the Head of Government part.  You have an elected executive who appoints the Prime Minister?  So he appoints his own boss?  Huh?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."