And we're back!

Main Menu

Japan votes: Lib Dems out after 50+ year run

Started by Kleves, August 30, 2009, 11:33:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on August 30, 2009, 03:56:31 PM
Very unexpected stuff.

Weird its took this long. Damn anti-democratic Japanese.
In times of great upheaval, it's not uncommon for a non-LDP type to enjoy a brief premiership.

Given that they have elections and all that, I don't think you can really call them anti-democratic.  Which is a shame, because democracy has failed.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

HisMajestyBOB

Very unexpected stuff.

It happened about 10-15 years ago, but the LDP was back in power after 10 months. Its weird how all the newspapers (Except The Economist) keep forgetting that this isn't the first time LDP has been out of power.

Though in this case, the opposition won by a much bigger margin, so they may well stay in for longer this time.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Monoriu

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 31, 2009, 01:06:16 AM
Very unexpected stuff.

It happened about 10-15 years ago, but the LDP was back in power after 10 months. Its weird how all the newspapers (Except The Economist) keep forgetting that this isn't the first time LDP has been out of power.

Though in this case, the opposition won by a much bigger margin, so they may well stay in for longer this time.

That time was different.  The LDP was ousted by a coalition of like 8 small-medium parties, each with very different agendas.  The LDP remained the largest party, with many more seats than the next largest party.  The coalition fell apart very quickly.

This time the LDP is crushed by a single party, and it lost a ton of seats. 

The Larch

You guys checked the cooky parties that contended in this elections? There are some real gems out there.  :lol:

jimmy olsen

Very unexpected stuff.

I don't see how you can call them anti-democratic when they've consistently had free fair elections, Japan is not Singapore and the LDP is not the PAP.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Drakken

Very unexpected stuff.

Huh, Sweden has bee run by SAP thoroughly for the last hundred years, save for four governments since 1976, and no one would prend that Sweden wasn't democratic.  :blink:

Neil

Quote from: Drakken on August 31, 2009, 11:18:18 AM
Very unexpected stuff.

Huh, Sweden has been more or less run by SAP thoroughly for the last hundred years, save for four governments, and no one would prend that Sweden isn't democratic.  :blink:
Jos has a bit of a double standard.  If a party of the centre or right wins successive elections, it is anti-democratic.  If a left-wing party does the same, it is the will of the people.

Jos is a bit of an idiot.  Then again, he's from the coal-mining parts of Britain, so it's a wonder he can use a computer.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

Quote from: Drakken on August 31, 2009, 11:18:18 AM
Very unexpected stuff.

Huh, Sweden has bee run by SAP thoroughly for the last hundred years, save for four governments since 1976, and no one would prend that Sweden wasn't democratic.  :blink:

So for 16 of the last 33 years there have been non-Labour governments?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

MadImmortalMan

"The ruling party has betrayed the people over the past four years, driving the economy to the edge of a cliff, building up more than 6 trillion yen ($64.1 billion) in public debt, wasting money, ruining our social security net and widening the gap between the rich and poor," the Democratic Party said in a statement as voting began Sunday.

"And we're gonna do exactly the same thing, only faster!"
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 31, 2009, 11:52:33 AM

"The ruling party has betrayed the people over the past four years, driving the economy to the edge of a cliff, building up more than 6 trillion yen ($64.1 billion) in public debt, wasting money, ruining our social security net and widening the gap between the rich and poor," the Democratic Party said in a statement as voting began Sunday.

"And we're gonna do exactly the same thing, only faster!"
Equality is more important than a functioning economy.  It's alright to go back to stone-age barbarism, so long as we all go together.