Ted Kennedy's Soviet Gambit

Started by jimmy olsen, August 29, 2009, 02:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on August 30, 2009, 05:42:33 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 30, 2009, 02:40:34 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 30, 2009, 12:05:04 PM
Raz = Commie.    Sorry your side lost the Cold War, dude.

Sorry your side lost WWII, dude.

ZING.
I'm pretty sure America was on the winning side.  Unlike the Poles, who lost twice.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on August 30, 2009, 05:08:01 PM
Still, that was treason, by any standard.

I could correct you, but I don't see the point.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Not by the standards listed within the US constitution.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 30, 2009, 06:07:31 PM
Siegebreaker has nothing but contempt for the US Constitution.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

Quote from: Neil on August 30, 2009, 06:16:54 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 30, 2009, 06:07:31 PM
Siegebreaker has nothing but contempt for the US Constitution.

I doubt that he even has any idea what's in it.

Which doesn't mean he still can't have contempt for it.

PDH

Quote from: dps on August 30, 2009, 06:32:13 PM
I doubt that he even has any idea what's in it.

Which doesn't mean he still can't have contempt for it.
Typical Arab
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Siege

Hey, stop ganging up on me!
It ain't funny, and it ain't right.

I have read the constitution, I had to study it to become a citizen, I know what it says, and I raised my hand and spoke the words.

So shove it.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Quote from: Siege on August 30, 2009, 08:05:17 PM

I have read the constitution, I had to study it to become a citizen, I know what it says, and I raised my hand and spoke the words.

So shove it.
So you're just another immigrant who spoke the pledge of alleigiance out of one side of your mouth while snickering up your sleeve out the other.  Taking advantage of the hospitality of America in order to live your backwards, murderous ideology is reprehensible.

Razgovory

So shove it.

We gang up on you because you are weak and feeble.  Even Tim does and he's the poster boy of feeble.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Actually, Siege had to make an effort to become a US citizen, so his allegiance should be less in question than those who were born into it.

DGuller

Did the citizenship test become harder over the years?  I didn't need to read the constitution for my test, and I aced it.  You do need some very basic social studies knowledge, but that's it.

Ed Anger

They are letting the helots become citizens.  :(
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

KRonn

Kennedy's message was simple. He proposed an unabashed quid pro quo. Kennedy would lend Andropov a hand in dealing with President Reagan. In return, the Soviet leader would lend the Democratic Party a hand in challenging Reagan in the 1984 presidential election. "The only real potential threats to Reagan are problems of war and peace and Soviet-American relations," the memorandum stated. "These issues, according to the senator, will without a doubt become the most important of the election campaign."
The Soviets were going to "help" the Democrats challenge Reagan? Or perhaps help the Dems elect a President? Lol... At that time, with help like that a US candidate wouldn't need opponents to lose!   

I've seen/heard this story before; not a pretty one for Kennedy.

MadImmortalMan

The party not in the executive may still have a lot of power, but they can't conduct their own independent foreign policy. Bad show, Teddy.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers