And we're back!

Main Menu

Another Clash of Civilizations

Started by citizen k, August 28, 2009, 02:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen k

QuoteSoccer Star Benched for Fasting During Ramadan
By  Jeff Israely

The Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which falls on different dates of the Western calendar each year, began on Aug. 21 in 2009, just in time for another event in Europe with near religious significance: the kickoff of soccer season. But the timing has sparked controversy in Italy, where in the past four days both a prominent coach and a team owner in the top Serie A league have linked the rigors of Ramadan's sunrise-to-sunset fasting to Muslim players' poor performance on the pitch.

Just 30 minutes into his team's disappointing 1-1 tie Sunday with Bari, Inter Milan's Portuguese-born coach Jose Mourinho pulled midfielder Sulley Muntari, a practicing Muslim, out of his home debut. "He was clearly struggling," Mourinho said of the 25-year-old Ghanaian player during the postgame press conference. "It's the month of Ramadan, and that's what affected his performance, which is why I took him out."

A top Muslim leader in Italy, Mohamed Nour Dachan, lashed out at the coach of the defending Serie A champions. "I think Mourinho should talk a little bit less," Dachan, president of the Italian Union of Islamic Organizations, told Sky Italia television. "We know from sports medicine that the mental stability of an athlete lets him give so much more on the field, and a player observant in Christianity, Judaism or Islam definitely has a very tranquil psychology."

On Tuesday evening, Aug. 25, the outspoken owner of the Rome-based Lazio club added to the polemics, saying he makes a point of avoiding the "problem" of Ramadan. "I respect religious freedom and the ways that it is expressed," Claudio Lotito told reporters after a meeting of Serie A officials in Milan. "But I try to prevent things that can slow down training and the playing of matches. I've never bought players that have this problem."

Italy's sports pages duly took note of other Muslim players who observe Ramadan with varying degrees of strictness, including Siena's Abdel Kader Ghezzal, an Algerian who scored a goal against AC Milan on Saturday. Though a practicing Muslim, Ghezzal says he does not fast on training and game days during Ramadan. Inter's Muntari is more observant, though he reportedly ate pasta at lunch on Sunday, while refusing water before the match. Most imams say there are just a few groups of people exempted from the daytime fast, including pregnant women, the sick and the elderly. Though the Koran doesn't cite any excuses based on profession, as with all other religions there are Muslims who are more and less observant of the letter of the law, with the requirements of their jobs sometimes playing a role.

Stefano Tirelli, the Milan-based personal trainer for Muntari and several other top soccer stars from Africa and the Middle East, says that depending on the playing conditions and the individual, lack of food and water can limit performance. He recalls his experience working for the United Arab Emirates and Qatar national teams, which featured less robust players in 100°F (40°C) heat, saying their speed and stamina were indeed affected by the Ramadan fast. But Tirelli, a professor of integrated sports technique at Milan's Catholic University, warns against reducing athletic performance to a series of statistical charts. "It's right that we respect the values of science," he says. ""But mental strength, determination and, yes, religious force, for one month's time, can easily overcome the deficit in proper nutrition."

Italian journalist Massimo Donaddio noted in the daily Il Sole 24 Ore that Saudi Arabia's coach, at the recent World Athletics Championships in Berlin, declared that his athletes would strictly follow the Ramadan fast during the competition. The Saudis won exactly zero medals, writes Donaddio - but then, so did the Italians.

Viking

QuoteA top Muslim leader in Italy, Mohamed Nour Dachan, lashed out at the coach of the defending Serie A champions. "I think Mourinho should talk a little bit less,"

I agree with the muslim there.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Siege

Muslims are taking over the world.
Now they even play football in western teams.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Josquius

Quote from: Siege on August 28, 2009, 05:05:21 PM
Now they even play football in western teams

...yeah...about...5 of them./
Now the latinos.... :ph34r:
██████
██████
██████

Sahib

What's supposed to be an issue here?
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Martinus

Quote from: Siege on August 28, 2009, 05:05:21 PM
Now they even play football in western teams.

I agree. Ridiculous religious taboos are unacceptable in the modern Western world. Hell, everybody should be forced to eat pork, to weed out the Muslim retards who refuse for religious reasons.

sbr

Quote from: Viking on August 28, 2009, 02:44:02 AM
QuoteA top Muslim leader in Italy, Mohamed Nour Dachan, lashed out at the coach of the defending Serie A champions. "I think Mourinho should talk a little bit less,"

Me too, just say I pulled him because he wasn't performing well, no reason to mention Ramadan specifically.  Though I am sure this will anger the 'freedom of speech" contingent.

dps

Quote from: sbr on August 28, 2009, 07:37:14 PM
Quote from: Viking on August 28, 2009, 02:44:02 AM

Me too, just say I pulled him because he wasn't performing well, no reason to mention Ramadan specifically.  Though I am sure this will anger the 'freedom of speech" contingent.

Well, the coach does (or would in the U.S, not 100% sure about Italy) and, indeed, should have the freedom to say pretty much what he wants about the player (within the usual bounds of slander--and this doesn't rise to that level, even if it was a bit stupid and bigotted), but then others also have (or should have) the freedom to criticize the coach's statement.

If I were a fan of the team, I'd be concerned that the coach may have compromised his ability to handle the player with his statement.

Queequeg

Quote from: Martinus on August 28, 2009, 07:07:47 PM

I agree. Ridiculous religious taboos are unacceptable in the modern Western world. Hell, everybody should be forced to eat pork, to weed out the Muslim retards who refuse for religious reasons.
Firstly, this would effect Jews, not that a Pole would care.

Second, I've been a Vegetarian for about 4 months now, so go fuck yourself again as I'm not eating pork just to feed your bigotry.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

HVC

Quote from: Queequeg on August 28, 2009, 08:00:06 PM

look who he's quoting
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

also, eat some meat. the veggies are making you mad
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

DisturbedPervert

Second, I've been a Vegetarian for about 4 months now, so go fuck yourself again as I'm not eating pork just to feed your bigotry.
*woosh*

dps

I had noticed that your posts have gotten even stupider recently. 

So have DGUller's.  I wonder if he's quit eating meat, too.

Queequeg

Quote from: HVC on August 28, 2009, 08:01:19 PM
also, eat some meat. the veggies are making you mad
The lack of protein is having some serious negative effects on my cognition, and I've had to consume a lot of whey protein and protein bars to keep up.  It isn't really working.  On the plus side, I seem to be loosing pounds rapidly. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."