News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Widescreen for Games?

Started by Queequeg, March 23, 2009, 05:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

I got a new monitor and for whatever reason widescreen is only working for Half-Life and Warhammer 40K.  There is no way for me to change in in-game for the Paradox games, and for whatever reason for Total War games the widescreen just makes it look odd.

Is there something I might be missing?  I admit to being somewhat retarded about computers, btw. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Alatriste

When you say that the widescreen is not working, you mean

a) That the image is distorted, or
b) That you get black zones at both sides?

We need more information. Have you installed the new monitor drivers and additional software? Anyway, I would think older games will probably have some problems adapting to your widescreen (I have found no problems on mine but I haven't tried playing anything really old)

KRonn

You may be having other issues, but this is my experience at going from regular screens.
At first using the wide screen I felt things were a bit distorted, but really after getting used to it the images really were fine. I love the wide screen now. I did have to adjust down the brightness especially, as colors were washed out and it was uncomfortable on the eyes after a short time. My screen seems to default everything to fit in the full screen - I don't get the black edges around games not designed for wide screen other wise. I'm not sure of the difference on that. My screen is a Samsung 22 inch.

Caliga

I have a Samsung 22 also, and I've never had any problems with gaming at all.  Just make sure you are always picking the correct resolution.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Queequeg

Just had to fix resolution to highest.  Sometimes takes a while to load, but worth it.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."