The Wide, Wide World of Apple

Started by Barrister, August 24, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Ideologue on August 31, 2009, 10:51:20 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 2009, 03:33:21 PM
By the way, Safari (or occasionally Chrome, which has the same Apple-developed Webkit core) has generally been found to be the fastest web browser.  :contract:
Has speed of application, versus speed of connection, ever really been an issue? :unsure:

Yes.  Speed to launch the browser, and speed to render pages (typically with a lot of Flash or Java) has been an issue.

Seriously - Safari is noticeably faster than IE.  I've never played with Chrome or Firefox though.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on August 31, 2009, 11:10:00 PM
So what are your theories on what will be released, and what this cryptic ad is supposed to mean?

And how soon will you upgrade your Touch if the new feature is just a camera? :P

I don't have a Touch.   :Embarrass:

And I dunno - the only rumours I've seen were for adding cameras to the entire iPod line (not just the Touch).  Seems like a somewhat silly upgrade, but I suppose enough teenyboppers would like the feature.  My previous generation Nano works just fine though, so I don't see upgrading for another product cycle or two.

Tonitrus

The problem the iPod Shuffle being so small....I cannot find the damned thing.  :mad:

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 2009, 11:51:53 PM
Seriously - Safari is noticeably faster than IE.  I've never played with Chrome or Firefox though.

Don't even think about Chrome for now, unless you want to cry.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on September 01, 2009, 12:18:47 AM

Don't even think about Chrome for now, unless you want to cry.

I might give it a try when it's out of beta.

:lmfao:

citizen k

Yes.  Speed to launch the browser, and speed to render pages (typically with a lot of Flash or Java) has been an issue.

Safari has crashed more often for me than Firefox (both on a Mac). It was when the site had Java or Flash running.  Firefox just seems more stable.

Valdemar

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 01, 2009, 12:06:32 AM
The problem the iPod Shuffle being so small....I cannot find the damned thing.  :mad:

The small size, price and limited functionality was why I bought two, one for each of my boys for long car rides and such..

Unfortunately they cannot keep the bloody white earphones in and stopped using them.. solution: buy different earphones...

Apple's response on next gen of shuffle: ordinary earphones wont work, all controls now on the wire to the white crap they call earplugs.... And other earphone makers will have to license that control adapter thingie making new phones more expensive than the player itself...

My response.. once those shuffles die we switch brands :D

V

Tonitrus

Quote from: Valdemar on September 01, 2009, 02:49:01 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on September 01, 2009, 12:06:32 AM

The small size, price and limited functionality was why I bought two, one for each of my boys for long car rides and such..

Unfortunately they cannot keep the bloody white earphones in and stopped using them.. solution: buy different earphones...

Apple's response on next gen of shuffle: ordinary earphones wont work, all controls now on the wire to the white crap they call earplugs.... And other earphone makers will have to license that control adapter thingie making new phones more expensive than the player itself...

My response.. once those shuffles die we switch brands :D

V

Yeah, I have the last generation one, which I think is better than the new one(I have my own custom earphones for it, especially I mainly use it for running).  If I buy a new one, I'll get a refurb/clearance of the last-gen Shuffle.

Barrister

Apple-haters take note:

Snow Leopard now has the ability to "force eject" a CD/DVD. 

Savonarola

Quote from: Barrister on September 01, 2009, 11:05:26 AM
Apple-haters take note:

How did they get midi-chlorians into a computer?  :unsure:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Barrister

Quote from: Savonarola on September 01, 2009, 11:35:38 AM
Apple-haters take note:

How did they get midi-chlorians into a computer?  :unsure:

I blame George Lucas. :angry:

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ed Anger

Apple-haters take note:

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

BuddhaRhubarb

Apple-haters take note:

I have a free apple script that does that from the toolbar without upgrading. 24k download
:p

BuddhaRhubarb

:p