The Wide, Wide World of Apple

Started by Barrister, August 24, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

On the supportive side, let me know how running Snow Leopard goes- reading up some more, Snow Leopard will take advantage of the Nehalem much better than Leopard could, because more of the kernel is being moved to 64-bit. I'm considering getting it for S' MacBook, but I want to see how it actually performs versus how it claims it will perform.
Experience bij!

Barrister

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 31, 2009, 01:11:44 PM
On the supportive side, let me know how running Snow Leopard goes- reading up some more, Snow Leopard will take advantage of the Nehalem much better than Leopard could, because more of the kernel is being moved to 64-bit. I'm considering getting it for S' MacBook, but I want to see how it actually performs versus how it claims it will perform.

Did you doubt that I wouldn't give a full AAR about installing Snow Leopard and 8GB of RAM?  :cool:

The reviews I've seen all say that SL seems "snappier", and of course freeing up hard drive space is groovy, but there are no "got to have" features either.  If you're a techie (and I believe you are) I would urge you to get it just to have the latest and shiniest toy.  I don't think I'd recommend my parents upgrade however, as it's just likely to confuse them (they his and hers iMacs).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 2009, 01:17:17 PM
Did you doubt that I wouldn't give a full AAR about installing Snow Leopard and 8GB of RAM?  :cool:

The reviews I've seen all say that SL seems "snappier", and of course freeing up hard drive space is groovy, but there are no "got to have" features either.  If you're a techie (and I believe you are) I would urge you to get it just to have the latest and shiniest toy.  I don't think I'd recommend my parents upgrade however, as it's just likely to confuse them (they his and hers iMacs).

:lol: No doubt about that. Mostly, I want to see what we might be able to do to reduce the hang time on Adobe's stuff- she works heavily in Illustrator; even with the 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo and 3 GB of RAM, there are times we have to walk away and do something else while CS4 is loading.
Experience bij!

Barrister

Well apparently that is one of the big improvements people have noticed - decreased start times for applications.  But I think I remember hearing that CS4 was rather buggy for the Mac.  :unsure:

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 2009, 01:39:01 PM
Well apparently that is one of the big improvements people have noticed - decreased start times for applications.  But I think I remember hearing that CS4 was rather buggy for the Mac.  :unsure:

Adobe tends to be a notable exception for performance, because they developed their own cross-platform dev tools to ensure compatibility with both Mac and PC. Most apps people are using to benchmark were built with the standard Apple tools. I'm mostly interested in the streamlined access to extra memory registers available with x64 systems.
Experience bij!

Neil

IE8 is actually the most secure browser there is, with Firefox coming in second.  Safari is down there with Chrome and Opera.

Mac users are doomed.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Neil on August 31, 2009, 03:22:39 PM
IE8 is actually the most secure browser there is, with Firefox coming in second.  Safari is down there with Chrome and Opera.

Mac users are doomed.

IE8 hasn't really been widely propagated yet. I'm not buying the notion that any browser based on that abortion of a control class, ActiveX, is the "most secure."
Experience bij!

Barrister

Prove it.

Mac users are doomed.

If this is what it's like to be doomed, then I never want it to end. :cool:

By the way, Safari (or occasionally Chrome, which has the same Apple-developed Webkit core) has generally been found to be the fastest web browser.  :contract:

Berkut

Shouldn't this thread be titled the "Narrow, narrow niche of apple"?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

I dunno - we got to 9 pages pretty quickly...

Berkut

But 8.5 of those pages are people mocking you, so that doesn't really help you much.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 31, 2009, 04:37:00 PM
I gave up on mocking Beeb.

:yeah:

Apple STILL hasn't shipped Snow Leopard. :angry:

Memory, OTOH, was sent out right away.  :cool:

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 2009, 03:33:21 PM

Prove it.

Mac users are doomed.

If this is what it's like to be doomed, then I never want it to end. :cool:

By the way, Safari (or occasionally Chrome, which has the same Apple-developed Webkit core) has generally been found to be the fastest web browser.  :contract:

Has speed of application, versus speed of connection, ever really been an issue? :unsure:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 2009, 12:59:44 PM

So what are your theories on what will be released, and what this cryptic ad is supposed to mean?

And how soon will you upgrade your Touch if the new feature is just a camera? :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall