The Wide, Wide World of Apple

Started by Barrister, August 24, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 24, 2009, 07:02:09 PM
You can get 6 inches of air in a bumpy car ride.

For Chrissakes slow down!

Objects inside my car have never gotten "6 inches of air", and I've driven some of the worst roads imaginable.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Barrister on August 24, 2009, 07:07:00 PM
For Chrissakes slow down!

Objects inside my car have never gotten "6 inches of air", and I've driven some of the worst roads imaginable.

You haven't experienced the lovely graded railroad crossings of scenic NJ- if you've just gotten a drink with a lid from a fast food joint, it's the quickest and cheapest colonoscopy you'll ever have.
Experience bij!

Valdemar

Mac.. a reliable way to get a trip to the hardware store..

here they've been selling mac books of various kinds that lose all letters on the keyboard.. ppl have to draw new ones themselves because surely it is not a production failure when they rub of after 3 months..

They also sell the lovely model where the inboard connectivity fails to the extend they only work if ppl screw a clamp unto it to squeeze it enough for connectors to meet. (dunno the english word for the thing you use when pinning for instance a board to drill or saw it?)

Apple still refuse to recognise either as a fault :D

V

Martinus

Quote from: Valdemar on August 25, 2009, 06:17:10 AM
Mac.. a reliable way to get a trip to the hardware store..
I've been using my MacBook for over a year, my iPhone for 11 months, and my iMac for 8 months now and I didn't have any hardware concerns whatsoever with any of them.  :huh:

Valdemar

That, unfortunately, is no longer true here. The number of filed complaints of failing macs, and possibly increasing the anger, the refusals of Apple to handle the complaints are getting them on the bad standing list with several of my friends who used to be as much fanbois as BB :)

V

BuddhaRhubarb

wow computer companies with crap service. wow. film @11.  :rolleyes:

That said back in tha day I dropped my ibook several times. no problems. it only died when i spilled beer in it. reasonable that that wasn't covered in warranty (which had lapsed 2 weeks before beer spill anyways.) I've had other non mac computers and had about the same amont of issues with them.

:p

BuddhaRhubarb

The best feature I see in Snow Leopard is the more reliable disc eject.
:p

Barrister

Grr...

I can't find an online vendor that can sell me both Snow Leopard AND cheap RAM upgrades.  The price Apple charges is absolutely insane (5-10x what it costs for no-name stuff).

Barrister

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on August 25, 2009, 11:15:26 AM
The best feature I see in Snow Leopard is the more reliable disc eject.

Actually the best feature is a 7GB smaller install size. :)

Threviel

And I'm really looking forward to the rumored tablet. I am possibly going to buy a new laptop, and a tablet that could be used for note-takings in college would be perfect.

The wife keeps on nagging about the rumored apple-TV, the one built in to an actual TV, she won't buy a new tv unless it's with an apple on.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2009, 11:17:30 AM
Grr...

I can't find an online vendor that can sell me both Snow Leopard AND cheap RAM upgrades.  The price Apple charges is absolutely insane (5-10x what it costs for no-name stuff).

See, THAT'S my real issue with Apple. I gripe about shoddy construction and piss-poor technical support, but really, lots of computer makers do that- at least you can usually tell by the price what you're getting. Apple has no excuse anymore to be charging the amounts that it is. Even Alienware doesn't, since being acquired by Dell.
Experience bij!

Barrister

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 25, 2009, 12:44:39 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2009, 11:17:30 AM
Grr...

See, THAT'S my real issue with Apple. I gripe about shoddy construction and piss-poor technical support, but really, lots of computer makers do that- at least you can usually tell by the price what you're getting. Apple has no excuse anymore to be charging the amounts that it is. Even Alienware doesn't, since being acquired by Dell.

You know I very nicely made a specific Apple thread so I could talk about Apple stuff.  You're free to come and piss on Steve Jobs if you really want, but I wonder why?

Apple computer themselves are reasonably priced when you look at the exact components.  When I bought my Mac Pro I priced out identical PCs, and the price was almost identical.  But you had to be very specific in what you were pricing out - in the case of the Mac Pro that meant pricing out a quad-core Xeon.  Or if you compare an iMac you have to compare to other all-on-one form factors.

But one thing that Apple will screw you on is memory.  I really don't know why.  That's why I ordered my system with the factory minimum in both RAM and harddrive - because non-Apple components would be much cheaper.  But the system itself was fairly priced.

Valdemar

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on August 25, 2009, 11:13:49 AM
wow computer companies with crap service. wow. film @11.  :rolleyes:

That said back in tha day I dropped my ibook several times. no problems. it only died when i spilled beer in it. reasonable that that wasn't covered in warranty (which had lapsed 2 weeks before beer spill anyways.) I've had other non mac computers and had about the same amont of issues with them.

That is actually the film at 11 cause over here in Scandiweenia consumer laws regarding such minimal warranty issues as having letters on keyboards and not needing to screw a clamp on a 3 months old laptop to make it work.

So when Apple unlike every other hardware company chose to ignore it then that IS Mac specific. Whne it also comes on top of a record of makig BETTER hardware than the rest that only makes Apple seem more arrogant.

And, BB, consider our bitching a payback for all your Mac comments in PC threads :p  :hug:

V

Barrister

Quote from: Valdemar on August 25, 2009, 01:51:39 PM
And, BB, consider our bitching a payback for all your Mac comments in PC threads :p  :hug:

V

But I'm very deliberate in PC threads.  I don't say "PCs are crap, M$ is teh evol".  I just, you know, bring up Apple. :shifty:

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2009, 12:54:38 PM
You know I very nicely made a specific Apple thread so I could talk about Apple stuff.  You're free to come and piss on Steve Jobs if you really want, but I wonder why?

Apple computer themselves are reasonably priced when you look at the exact components.  When I bought my Mac Pro I priced out identical PCs, and the price was almost identical.  But you had to be very specific in what you were pricing out - in the case of the Mac Pro that meant pricing out a quad-core Xeon.  Or if you compare an iMac you have to compare to other all-on-one form factors.

But one thing that Apple will screw you on is memory.  I really don't know why.  That's why I ordered my system with the factory minimum in both RAM and harddrive - because non-Apple components would be much cheaper.  But the system itself was fairly priced.

You know, I decided to verify the bolded part. On Newegg, I could piece together an equivalent system (downgrading the OpenGL 3.0 GTX 120 to an OpenGL 2.1 GeForce 9500 GT, upgrading the DVD±R to 22x for reasons of exact models not being available, and assuming a 950W power supply to be on the safe side). The only things I haven't factored in are keyboard and mouse. Oh, and I added a bluetooth adapter to make sure that functionality was present.

Some things to note: almost no manufacturers use DDR3 1066; there's some DDR2 1066, but most DDR3 systems have a faster FSB.

Including Vista Ultimate, I come in at $1027.88. Now, try to tell me how much of a steal that Mac Pro is, at $2,499.00
Experience bij!