The Wide, Wide World of Apple

Started by Barrister, August 24, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

I was wearing a two sizes too large hoody, with the phone in the front pocket.  I leaned forward to flush, and out came the phone.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on January 19, 2016, 05:17:46 PM
I was wearing a two sizes too large hoody, with the phone in the front pocket.  I leaned forward to flush, and out came the phone.

Ah, the old slot delivery launch.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Monoriu

I heard there is a rumour that the new iphones will do away with the headphone connection holes.  Then I remember why I dislike Apple  :yucky:

Josquius

Quote from: Monoriu on January 19, 2016, 08:27:34 PM
I heard there is a rumour that the new iphones will do away with the headphone connection holes.  Then I remember why I dislike Apple  :yucky:
A rather strong rumour at that. Replacing standard audio ports with special apple only ones.
Considering the amount of 3rd party recharger cables out there now I wouldn't be surprised if they redesigned that again also
██████
██████
██████

Liep

I don't see why that would make you dislike Apple more, the jack plug might be an old standard but you can get better sound options with a digital connection or more mobility with a bluetooth connection. Plus it'll make the phone thinner presumably.

They'll likely ship it with standard lightning/usb-c connected earphones. Of course they will also offer a more expensive quality product, but that's marketing and should be right up your alley.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

I returned my old iPad (got one from work instead) and got $150 for it as Apple Store credit. What should I buy?!
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Barrister

Quote from: Liep on January 20, 2016, 09:37:49 AM
I don't see why that would make you dislike Apple more, the jack plug might be an old standard but you can get better sound options with a digital connection or more mobility with a bluetooth connection. Plus it'll make the phone thinner presumably.

They'll likely ship it with standard lightning/usb-c connected earphones. Of course they will also offer a more expensive quality product, but that's marketing and should be right up your alley.

Yeah - the rumour is the new one will ship with earphones that connect through the lightning connector on your iPhone.  This will allow them to make the iPhone even thinner (though I'd prefer slightly thicker if they crammed more batteries in there).

It's why I don't want to get a new phone right now - if I was going to drop my iPhone in the can on purpose I would have done so after the 7 came out.

Monoriu

Quote from: Liep on January 20, 2016, 09:37:49 AM

Because my existing headphones won't work with them?

Liep

Yes, if you already have invested in good quality headphones I can see that the $20-40 extra for a converter when buying a $700 phone is crushing.

When it comes bundled with better technology I'm fine with it, like the last time they changed the charger, the lightning connector was just much better.

Barrister

I can imagine there being advantages to using a digital connector for headphones rather than the fairly ancient analog 3.5mm plug.

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on January 20, 2016, 11:43:39 AM
I can imagine there being advantages to using a digital connector for headphones rather than the fairly ancient analog 3.5mm plug.

At what point does the sound cease to be digital?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

Quote from: mongers on January 20, 2016, 02:30:55 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 20, 2016, 11:43:39 AM

At what point does the sound cease to be digital?

When it goes from 0s and 1s to waves?

Monoriu

Quote from: Liep on January 20, 2016, 11:17:47 AM
Yes, if you already have invested in good quality headphones I can see that the $20-40 extra for a converter when buying a $700 phone is crushing.

When it comes bundled with better technology I'm fine with it, like the last time they changed the charger, the lightning connector was just much better.

My headphones are cheap, no where near US$700.  I just don't want to throw away perfectly good and working headphones just because Apple decided to change the gold standard in audio connection  <_<

Admiral Yi

NPR's Science Friday dude had the former Apple design chief on today.  He was saying Jobs used to be the final say on design issues, and ever since his death they've stopped giving a shit about usability.  On the flip side, the fact that he's the *former* design chief could have something to do with his position.

Probably podcasted if you're interested.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 22, 2016, 04:39:50 PM
NPR's Science Friday dude had the former Apple design chief on today.  He was saying Jobs used to be the final say on design issues, and ever since his death they've stopped giving a shit about usability.  On the flip side, the fact that he's the *former* design chief could have something to do with his position.

Probably podcasted if you're interested.

On the one hand - that's the problem with living in the shadow of a legend.  Everything is going to be said "that's not how Steve would have done it".

On the other hand, a couple of recent products do seem kind of clunky.  Apple Watch, for example.