The Wide, Wide World of Apple

Started by Barrister, August 24, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

I keep hearing from others that iphone 4S and IOS8 are incompatible, and tons of people regret updating.  Itunes keep asking me to "update" to IOS8, and I have to manually decline each time.  It is probably an Apple ploy to make me buy a new phone. 

Is the mob right to refuse to update to IOS8?

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on October 23, 2014, 08:55:02 PM
I keep hearing from others that iphone 4S and IOS8 are incompatible, and tons of people regret updating.  Itunes keep asking me to "update" to IOS8, and I have to manually decline each time.  It is probably an Apple ploy to make me buy a new phone. 

You can select "Don't ask me again" checkbox before selecting cancel.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Quote from: garbon on October 23, 2014, 09:09:49 PM

You can select "Don't ask me again" checkbox before selecting cancel.

I did notice that box, but I was worried that the default setting is to update.  So I am worried that if I check that box, itunes will simply automatically update my phone to IOS8 next time. 

garbon

So let's just file this under "Mono is a nutjob Evidence No. 1414324"?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

If you're happy with iOS7 then keep it, apps might stop being upgraded for that system in a while, but as long as it works it's going to operate smoother than iOS8.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Monoriu

Quote from: Liep on October 24, 2014, 03:50:29 AM

If you're happy with iOS7 then keep it, apps might stop being upgraded for that system in a while, but as long as it works it's going to operate smoother than iOS8.

I don't really use apps, and it has no internet connection (can't afford monthly fees).  It is just a phone + phone book + music player to me. 

DontSayBanana

I've heard some whining about it, but my two cents is that my 4S took to iOS8 just fine.  Of course, with a device that old, the only real perk to upgrading was the predictive keyboard- the 4S can't even do AirDrop, but in my case that was a big enough deal to sell it on its own (I have a really, really hard time typing on the tiny 4S keyboard- it's the main thing that's got me considering a possible 6 or 6+ upgrade).

Oh, and the contact shortcuts on the task launcher, but I haven't been using that as much, since my crazy schedule doesn't exactly leave me a ton of time to use the phone.
Experience bij!

Monoriu

I saw a demo iphone 6+ the other day.  I was very surprised that, despite having a much larger screen, the 6+ is actually lighter than my 4S. 

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Monoriu

Quote from: Liep on October 28, 2014, 04:14:06 AM
BUY IT.

That's not how it works.  I never buy mobile phones.  The correct procedure is to wait for the wife to buy one for herself, wait for her to get tired of it, and wait for her to give it to me as a hand me down.  My iphone 4S was once hers :contract:

Berkut

Debating whether I should consider a Galaxy Note 4. It seems huge, but someone was showing it to me, and that screen is gorgeous...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Berkut on November 04, 2014, 10:59:34 AM
Debating whether I should consider a Galaxy Note 4. It seems huge, but someone was showing it to me, and that screen is gorgeous...

If screen quality's your deal, get an LG G3.  Note 4 does still have a nice screen, though.
Experience bij!

MadBurgerMaker

Yeah my G3 has a really nice screen.  The Note 4 Curve (is that what it's called?) has an interesting little gimmick where the screen curves around one side a little for notifications and shit.  I haven't seen one in person though.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on December 01, 2014, 06:51:26 PM
Yeah my G3 has a really nice screen.  The Note 4 Curve (is that what it's called?) has an interesting little gimmick where the screen curves around one side a little for notifications and shit.  I haven't seen one in person though.

Note Edge.  And it's going to be a while before you do; the sucker's $400 with a 2-year contract.
Experience bij!

garbon

I don't understand how they are pitching apple pay. While I can understand the transferring of funds to friends (sort of), I don't get why anyone would want to use their phone as a payment device. Too hard to swipe a credit card / pull out cash? :unsure: