The Wide, Wide World of Apple

Started by Barrister, August 24, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Threviel

In my old iMac the fans would go on sometimes, almost exclusively when playing games for such a long time that it got hot. In my new one I haven't noticed any excessive fan sounds.

So it could be normal, but even when my fans on my old iMac was at their loudest they were quieter than say a normal tower PC.

Barrister

Apple introduced the long-rumoured Watch today.   :cool:

I want one, but will probably wait for version 2 (or, not buy it at all).  Even for Apple, being an early adapter is usually a mistake.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on September 09, 2014, 02:20:54 PM

I want one, but will probably wait for version 2 (or, not buy it at all).  Even for Apple, being an early adapter is usually a mistake.
:yes: Apple tends to replace their adapters pretty often.

garbon

As I think I said once upon a time, I really don't get the watch appeal.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on September 09, 2014, 02:59:59 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 09, 2014, 02:20:54 PM

:yes: Apple tends to replace their adapters pretty often.

:palmslap:

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on September 09, 2014, 03:03:37 PM
As I think I said once upon a time, I really don't get the watch appeal.
I see it.  Having a small iPhone tethered to you at all times is convenient, and can make it an all-in-one fitness monitoring device.

Barrister

I can see the appeal, though not sure I'd buy one.

Having to pull your phone out of your pocket can be a pain, specially if you just want to check the time, or quickly see an email, or maybe see what your heartrate is during a workout.  Also, easier for the new NFC payment system to tap your wrist, than pull out your phone.

Also, the fashion aspect (and clearly Apple put a lot of options into fashion options) which is mostly absent in a phone.

garbon

http://www.theonion.com/articles/features-of-the-new-apple-watch,36890/

QuoteFeatures Of The New Apple Watch

Tim Cook announced Tuesday the release of Apple's long-rumored watch, the latest in wearable technology. Here are some features of the new device:

• 13-megapixel camera enables users to take crystal-clear pictures of wrist
  • Allows wearers to start and stop the flow of time
  • Discreet, but not so discreet that anyone would mistake it for a regular watch
  • Comes in a variety of colors and styles to express your personal submission to the planet's dominant tech company
  • Adjustable ticking volume
  • All the convenience of a traditional watch that needs to be charged every 12 hours
  • Built-in thinkpiece regarding the increased connectivity yet simultaneous isolation of the millennial generation
  • Small size and intricate circuitry able to drive twice as many Chinese workers to suicide as iPhone
  • Makes it easier for muggers to see whether or not you're carrying an expensive electronic device
  • Another screen to throw into your current rotation of things you look at
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Honestly, the price is a huge turnoff.  Only works with the iPhone 6 or 6 Plus, so on top of the $349 that the basic Apple Watch will set you back, you've got to factor in the $199 for an iPhone 6 as well.  $548 or $149 for a Pebble that works with my 4S?  Yup.
Experience bij!

DGuller

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 10, 2014, 04:47:02 PM
Honestly, the price is a huge turnoff.  Only works with the iPhone 6 or 6 Plus, so on top of the $349 that the basic Apple Watch will set you back, you've got to factor in the $199 for an iPhone 6 as well.  $548 or $149 for a Pebble that works with my 4S?  Yup.
I thought it also worked with all the 5 versions?

DontSayBanana

$448 then.  The 5 series isn't going to be taking that much of a dive in price.
Experience bij!

Barrister

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 10, 2014, 04:47:02 PM

I can see why the Watch would cost a lot more than the Pebble.  It's a lot more ambitious, colour screen, and made with better materials.

I have time, but at that price I might even camp out overnight for one of the first ones - just for the experience of it.   :cool:

DGuller

The biggest problem with iWatch for me is that I don't want anything electronic on my wrist.  I'm old-fashioned like that.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DGuller on September 10, 2014, 05:24:50 PM
The biggest problem with iWatch for me is that I don't want anything electronic on my wrist.  I'm old-fashioned like that.

Actually, the biggest shift from Apple's keynote is that aside from the entrenched "iPhone," none of the new products or services are being given the "i" prefix.  Apple Pay, Apple Watch, etc.

Oh, and I shouldn't have to point this out, but there's a huge fail inherent in the Watch, that Samsung has already addressed with the Gear.

I'm a southpaw. :contract:
Experience bij!