The Wide, Wide World of Apple

Started by Barrister, August 24, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

Yeah, the FAA has said airlines are allowed to permit expanded electronic device usage, but voice communication would be under the FCC's purview so they haven't ruled on that. The FCC Chairman seemed to indicate he'd vote to allow it because there is no technical/safety reason not to allow it. But at about the same time the Department of Transportation indicated that whatever the FCC decides they will prohibit voice usage of cell phones on planes in part because of passenger comfort issues. Plus airlines would still have rights as private companies to regulate voice calls.

The airlines probably disliked the kabuki theater of having to have flight attendants bitch at passengers for leaving their iPad on during take-off and landing, but they would probably not want passengers rudely talking on their cell phones and possibly leading to passenger-on-passenger angry confrontations on their planes.

Josephus

Flying's already a pain in the ass i try to avoid as much as possible. The minute people can start yapping on their phones is the minute it'll be stay-at-home vacays and drive-for business trips.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

What is so pain in the ass about flying? Apart from extra time you need to add for security.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Seats too cramped. Shit food. Noisy kids behind kicking the seat. Smelly toilets, long line up for said smelly toilets. Fat woman always sits beside me.

That's just for starters.

I guess I may have gotten spoiled on the three business class flights I took.

And let's not forget the added security time. And all the shit that goes with that.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Oh it sounds like you just need better practice on how to manage traveling coach.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

It's WWDC time - lots of new announcements from Apple today.  We'll see how interesting any of them are.

first up - OS X Yosemite.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Nothing earth-shattering really.  Now going through iOS 8.

DontSayBanana

Wow.  Swype functionality is not a selling point.  That ship sailed a long, long time ago.  Nearly five years ago, in fact.
Experience bij!

Liep

Apple can make it a selling point, I don't think a lot of people have heard of swype. My sister has had an android phone for many years and she would've no clue.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

I'm having a problem with the app store not having certain apps that obviously should be in the store, such as YouTube or apps I've seen installed on another iPad.

I've think I've nailed it down to the apps not being in the Danish store (iTunes wants to switch me to US store when I try on the PC), but I see no reason why YouTube should suddenly stop being there, or why apps in Danish would be in the US store but not the Danish.

I can find no help on Google. :weep:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josephus

So a year ago I bought an IMac which I've been pretty happy with. Recently I've noticed a couple of times pretty loud fan noise, that makes me panic and switch it off. Is that...normal?
Civis Romanus Sum

DGuller

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on August 31, 2014, 10:05:16 AM
So a year ago I bought an IMac which I've been pretty happy with. Recently I've noticed a couple of times pretty loud fan noise, that makes me panic and switch it off. Is that...normal?

Just to clarify... a pretty loud fan noise just means your system temperature is getting high, so the fans turn up high.  Apple tries to keep its computers quiet so they try not to get to high RPM fan speeds, but it is perfectly normal.  What are you doing when this happens?

However - the Mac equivalent to the Blue Screen of Death is a kernel panic - if that's what's happening to you that definitely is not good.

Josephus

What's a kernel panic.

No, each time I happened to be playing Tropico 4 (which I more than exceed the specs--but I won't be playing that again), but yeah, the fan noise gets pretty loud

edit: No, it's not a kernel panic.
Civis Romanus Sum

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on August 31, 2014, 10:56:54 AM
What's a kernel panic.

No, each time I happened to be playing Tropico 4 (which I more than exceed the specs--but I won't be playing that again), but yeah, the fan noise gets pretty loud

edit: No, it's not a kernel panic.

Okay just making sure.

So if your fan speed is getting high it just means the game is getting close to maxing out your vid card, which is causing the heat to rise and thus kicking in the higher speed fan setting.

It's not necessarily a problem - it's what it's designed to do after all.  If you're concerned look into downloading a program that will monitor and display your Mac's internal temperature.  I think if you're hitting higher than, say 80C you're at risk of seriously hurting your computer, but lower than that will be fine even if the fan is on high speed.