The Wide, Wide World of Apple

Started by Barrister, August 24, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

So check this shit out.  On my flight back from Chicago to Louisville this week I opened Google+/Locations on my iPhone and realized that, even though the bulk of the features weren't working due to having no data connection, my location was still being updated on the map, so I could watch my flight progress in real-time. :cool:  It was really solid in terms of accuracy too, in that as the map showed me approaching a river I could look out the window and see said river.  It also tracked accurately to the point of showing the plane line up for approach on the visible runways on my map.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

katmai

Yeah I used it when out on flights with uscg not to mention driving up north where no cell coverage at all.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

I did a bit of research and some people say it won't work (ironically) when phone is in airplane mode, while others say it will.  I never bother to turn my phones off or put them in airplane mode on flights.

Ed Anger

I think my ipad2 is starting to go. MAH 500 DOLLOAR DEVICE
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on March 21, 2014, 03:50:40 PM
I did a bit of research and some people say it won't work (ironically) when phone is in airplane mode, while others say it will.  I never bother to turn my phones off or put them in airplane mode on flights.
:o I wonder how many planes crashed because Caliga didn't bother to turn off his phone?  :hmm:

Arvoreen

I'm guess it would only happen once....and then he wouldn't be doing that anymore.....  :P

Caliga

Quote from: DGuller on March 21, 2014, 06:46:17 PM
:o I wonder how many planes crashed because Caliga didn't bother to turn off his phone?  :hmm:
:rolleyes: I never turn my phones off (I always carry two smartphones, sometimes three).

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on April 01, 2014, 10:36:53 AM
:rolleyes: I never turn my phones off (I always carry two smartphones, sometimes three).

The charter flights for a certain professional sports team I've traveled with are hilarious.  Phones, laptops, iPads, you name it-- always on during takeoff.  It's suggested that you be in your seat during takeoff & landing, but otherwise there are no rules.  Plus they feed you as if you were on an NFL player diet.  By the time you finish your second Chick-fil-A sandwich they're bringing out the steaks.

Kind of hard to adjust to normal flights in coach after that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Get those motherfucking steaks onto my motherfucking plane. :(

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on April 01, 2014, 02:48:00 PM
Get those motherfucking steaks onto my motherfucking plane. :(

Steaks on a plane!
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

You should be put on the no-fly list.  :mad:

Monoriu

Quote from: DGuller on April 02, 2014, 08:01:46 AM
You should be put on the no-fly list.  :mad:

I seriously doubt if the phones will interfere with cockpit instruments.  It is most likely a case of nobody willing to take responsibility for removing this safety precaution. 

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Monoriu on April 02, 2014, 09:23:11 PM
I seriously doubt if the phones will interfere with cockpit instruments.  It is most likely a case of nobody willing to take responsibility for removing this safety precaution. 

Basically.  The FAA already backed off from it last year; now, it's just a matter of seeing which airline blinks first (I'm surprised there wasn't a race to allow it, since whichever goes first is going to have a huge selling advantage).

http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=15254
Experience bij!

Syt

Yeah, because sitting next to a windbag that's on the phone for 8 hours during a transatlantic flight is going to be so much fun.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on April 03, 2014, 11:56:58 AM
Yeah, because sitting next to a windbag that's on the phone for 8 hours during a transatlantic flight is going to be so much fun.
While I do think part of the motivation for airlines still pretending that leaving your phone on is ZOMG DANGEROUS is to keep chatterboxes off the phone, you ain't gonna be making an 8 hour call on a transatlantic flight on your cell phone. :sleep:  On my usual flights from Louisville to Chicago and back I only get short blips of service and usually only when flying over the larger towns (e.g. Indianapolis, Terre Haute).  Occasionally I'll get emails and stuff during those small windows of service but not always.