The Wide, Wide World of Apple

Started by Barrister, August 24, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

It'll probably end up a little less than 6 like the Note III.

E:  Although maybe they'll just go straight to 6" and one up Samsung in screen size (at least for the moment) like LG is supposedly doing with the G Pro 2.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on January 23, 2014, 08:11:53 PM
It'll probably end up a little less than 6 like the Note III.

E:  Although maybe they'll just go straight to 6" and one up Samsung in screen size (at least for the moment) like LG is supposedly doing with the G Pro 2.

Sure.  Just hope they don't go overkill; as mentioned; around 7" on up, you've gone from smartphone territory into tablet territory and cut your market share by whatever percentage aren't willing to tote around extra luggage to keep their device on them.  Given the way the average phone fits in the average pocket, I think my own cutoff would probably be somewhere around 6.25"
Experience bij!

MadBurgerMaker

Yeah, that would probably be my absolute max as well.  I've got a phone with a 5.5" screen now, and....well it's pretty damn big.  Anything bigger seems like it would require a headset.  This one is already pretty awkward without one as it is.  Feels like I'm holding a shoebox against my face.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on January 23, 2014, 01:30:42 PM
Yeah rumors are 4.8" and one at about 6"

Bah.  What bullshit.  The 4s is just the right size.

Duque de Bragança

The latest crime from the stalinist regime!

QuoteNorth Korea goes OSX-like with new operating system
The latest version of the software dumps a Windows-like interface for a Mac-style desktop

http://www.computerworld.co.nz/article/537360/north_korea_goes_osx-like_new_operating_system/

QuoteIf imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, might the folks in Cupertino be pleased when they see the latest version of North Korea's home-grown operating system?

Version 3.0 of Red Star Linux presents users with a radical refresh of its desktop design, one that closely resembles Mac OS X. The new look replaces the Windows 7-like desktop that was used in version 2.0 of the software.

The Korea Computer Center (KCC), a major software development center in Pyongyang, began developing Red Star about a decade ago. Version 2 is 3 years old and version 3 appears to have been released in the middle of last year.

The world has gotten its first look at version 3 thanks to Will Scott, a computer scientist who recently spent a semester teaching at the Pyongyang University of Science and Technology (PUST). The school is North Korea's first foreign-funded university and many of the lecturers come from overseas.

Scott said he bought the operating system at a KCC dealer in the capital city and the screenshots he provided were of the basic version 3 software without any modifications.

While most North Koreans are restricted from accessing the Internet, many can get access to a nationwide intranet through universities and public libraries. The intranet offers websites for domestic institutions and is heavily skewed towards offering information, educational materials such as PDF versions of books and scientific papers, and government propaganda.

Red Star Linux includes a web browser based on Mozilla that has been re-branded "Naenara," or "My country."

It also includes a copy of Wine, a Linux application that provides an environment under which Windows software can be run.

Caliga

Company just gave me an iPhone 5S to replace my Blackberry.  Am I an: Appletard now!
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

No, you will when you buy a mac book tho.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on February 11, 2014, 11:58:31 AM
Company just gave me an iPhone 5S to replace my Blackberry.  Am I an: Appletard now!

My co-worker just got one too. I was too quick in getting mine and only have the 4s. :weep:

edit: Actually I have a 5 - just not 5S. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on February 11, 2014, 11:58:31 AM

Not yet. :shifty:

Having done the same switch a few months ago, how do you find the iPhone compared to the BB?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

I barely have had any time to play with it yet, though it's already managed to shock me three times (the first one was bad enough that my hand hurt for a while) so we're not off to the best start. :)  I think maybe it's this lame (and apparently aptly named!) Lightning cable thing that Apple has to have in an effort to be different from everyone else.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Caliga on February 11, 2014, 02:46:28 PM
I barely have had any time to play with it yet, though it's already managed to shock me three times (the first one was bad enough that my hand hurt for a while) so we're not off to the best start. :)  I think maybe it's this lame (and apparently aptly named!) Lightning cable thing that Apple has to have in an effort to be different from everyone else.

It's not the connector- my 4S does the same thing- near as I can figure, the combination of a conductive material for the case with the shallow depth of the power input means it's easy to accidentally put a finger where it shorts the two.  Happens to me at least a couple times a week. <_<
Experience bij!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on February 11, 2014, 02:50:46 PM
What part is shocking you both? :unsure:

Like I said, it happens when I touch the bottom of the phone, on or right next to the jack.  I'm pretty used to being shocked, though; it even happens to me with Xbox controllers if I accidentally touch the headset jack between the grips.
Experience bij!

katmai

Never been shocked by my 5, 4 or 3. fricking weirdos.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

DGuller

Quote from: katmai on February 11, 2014, 06:33:42 PM
Never been shocked by my 5, 4 or 3. fricking weirdos.
:huh: Same here.  Stop putting your finger in sockets, people.